In a constantly changing work environment, possessing the right skills are essential to meet the challenges of restaurant cook everyday work.
Whether they are solid job-related skills (hard skills) or non-tangible life skills (soft skills), both sets hold a lot of importance.
Knowing what skills you have, takes you a step further in emphasizing them when writing a resume. Always remember that getting hired is more than just having a perfect cover letter or resume – what happens after you are hired is what needs to be focused on here.
Since the resume is where it all begins, placing a list of skills in your resume is imperative.
The impression that we make creates a significant impact on how we are perceived.
Writing your skills in your resume is what will take you to new heights in the employment world. A prospective employer knows nothing about your ability to do anything in a professional world – cut him some slack and make things easy for them.
And here is how we can guide you – by providing you with examples on how to create sentences to emphasize your job-related skills:
See also: Restaurant Cook Cover Letter
Sample Hard Skills for Restaurant Cook Resume
- Demonstrated ability to cook special cuisines including French, Italian, Iranian, and Spanish
- Hands-on experience in cooking specialty dishes such as fillet mignon, sushi, and pork chops
- Adept at following set recipes to cook menu items and tweaking recipes to meet the individual needs of customers
- Proficient in operating cooking equipment and appliances and ensuring that preventative maintenance is performed on them in an efficient manner
- Ability to cook and package batches of food and make sure that it is stored in a proper manner
- Competent in operating large-volume cooking equipment such as grills, griddles, and deep-fat fryers
- Able to prepare special drinks such as Spanish and mint margaritas and blue lagoons
- Proven ability to clean and sanitize kitchen areas such as counters and floors to ensure compliance with food and health safety protocols
- Adept at rotating food items in storage areas to ensure that they stay fresh and are used and consumed before the expiry date
- Focused on providing the best in customer services by actively and positively taking customer feedback and ensuring that food preparation methods are tweaked according to them
- Highly skilled in inspecting food preparation duties to ensure that they conform to the specific instruction provided.
- Proven record of efficiently observing and testing food items to ensure that they have been cooked according to set recipes.
- Demonstrated expertise in creating recipes and menus according to the specific tastes of different clientele.
- Skilled in weighing, measuring, and mixing ingredients according to recipes and by employing personal judgment.
- Deeply familiar with operating kitchen equipment such as grills, ovens, and fryers to handle cooking and baking activities.
- Proficient in portioning food items according to restaurant standards and arranging them on plates and platters in a visually pleasing manner.
- Adept at determining estimated expected food consumption and requisitioning supplies in a time-efficient way.
- Effectively able to monitor sanitation practices by ensuring that the kitchen areas are kept clean and clean and that waste management practices are followed.
- Focused on coordinating food orders efficiently, aimed at supporting the timely and efficient delivery of food items to each table.
- . Known for complying with all health and safety requirements including the use of personal protective equipment.
Sample Soft Skills for Restaurant Cook
- Customer service
- Excel in a fast-paced environment
- Organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Knowledge of food safety requirements
- Able to perform tasks safely within prescribed time limits
- Ability to maintain a positive working relationship with others
- Willingness to learn new things
- Critical thinking
Restaurant Cook Qualifications
- Post-secondary education preferred
- Some kitchen experience
- Safe food handling course or certificate
- Excellent knife handling skills
- Knowledge of HACCP
- Smart Serve Certified
- WHMIS trained