The food service industry employs many individuals in and outside the kitchen to help it run smoothly in keeping with customer satisfaction protocols. One crucial kitchen role is that of a grill cook in a restaurant or a hotel.
Grill Cook Job Description
Grill cooks are primarily responsible for carrying out the duties that are specific to cooking food on the grill.
While initially, grill cooks prepared only meats on the grill, they are now also expected to prepare vegetables and cheeses. Grill cooks are expected to prepare grilled food following the instructions and recipes provided to them. For instance, an order for a rare steak should be cooked for the precise time that it takes a rare steak to cook and not more or less.
Grill cooks are required to have in-depth knowledge of cooking temperatures and operating grilling equipment.
While the primary duty of a grill cook is to prepare grilled food items, he may be expected to perform other tasks such as washing and cleaning food products and filling in for an absentee.
If this job interests you and you have knowledge of operating and cooking food on a grill, you should look at the following list of job duties that will help you prepare a resume when applying for this position.
Job Duties for Grill Cook Resume
• Take grilled food orders from waiters
• Season and prepare food items for grilling
• Grill requested food items in accordance with customers’ specifications and preset recipes
• Manage portions of grilled food items and garnish them
• Regulate temperature of broilers, grills, and roasters
• Wash, cut, and peel meats and vegetables before preparing them for cooking
• Taste and evaluate food items before serving
• Receive raw food items from suppliers
• Ensure that all supplied items are of good quality and accurate quantity
• Ensure refrigeration and rotation of food items
• Label food items appropriately
• Discard any expired or near expiry food items
• Arrange prepared food items in an aesthetic manner
• Check and recheck equipment temperature to ensure the accuracy of order
• Maintain work area by cleaning and sanitizing constantly
• Clean and disinfect grilling and broiling equipment after use
• Ensure preventative and general maintenance of grilling equipment
• Make sure that food items are appropriately thawed before using
• Manage inventory of food supplies
• Cool food items down to standard temperatures before serving