Mostly, bus attendants are hired to provide assistance to students on a school bus.
The work of a bus attendant is of great responsibility.
He or she has to make sure that students embark and disembark from the bus in a safe manner, and oversee their activities during transport.
In rare occasions, they may work on other buses, especially those that cater to the transport requirements of people with special needs.
Working as a bus attendant will require you to possess a high school diploma or equivalent at the very least.
If you have worked as a bus attendant in a previous position, your candidature will become strong as a lot less time and effort will be spent on training you, than a new one.
Skills & Competencies
As a bus attendant, it is imperative that you are compassionate, patient, authoritative, and kind – all at the same time.
Since you will be dealing with a lot of children whose parents have trusted you to transport them safely to school and back home, you will have to be able to manage the huge responsibility that comes with working in this position.
As a bus attendant, you will be constantly watching children, at times reprimanding them and ensuring their wellbeing and safety.
Some of the other duties that you will perform while working in this role include:
Job Duties for Bus Attendant Resume
• Greet students as they board the bus and assist them in finding their assigned seats.
• Assist students with their bags and lunchboxes by ensuring that they are docked in designated places on the bus.
• Provide assistance to students in fastening their seatbelts while ensuring that they are properly strapped in throughout the journey.
• Take and maintain attendance and ensure that it is properly filed as per the rules of the school district.
• Provide extra care and help to students with special needs by ensuring that they are comfortable and happy.
• Oversee student behavior within the bus and intervene during untoward incidents such as bullying.
• Instruct students about rules and regulations and ensure that each one of them follows them.
• Assist the bus driver in mapping out efficient routes to and from the school and ensure that the mapped-out route is properly followed.
• Observe and track route timings for the purpose of providing accurate schedules.
• Take prompt action during times of distress such as accidents or emergencies, focusing on students’ safety primarily.
• Prepare reports such as attendance, schedules, and student misconduct and ensure that it is handed over to authorized personnel at the end of the day.