Generating publicity for a company, building brand images and creating awareness – all of these are of the utmost importance for organizations which is why they hire public relations personnel.
Public relations associates are responsible for generating business through marketing and promotional initiatives.
They work under the supervision of public relations managers where they assist in developing and implementing public relations programs.
These professionals handle a bevy of duties such as managing blogger relations, maintaining media lists, handling trade media outreach programs and managing seasonal press previews.
Since outreach is a major part of a public relations associate’s job, they are responsible for regional and national media outreach programs.
Eligibility requirements for a public relations associate’s position include a four-year college degree with communication as a major and knowledge of how the media works. Since public relations is all about creating and using contacts to project a positive image of the company, public relations associates need to be outgoing and possess the ability to work independently.
Usually, a public relations associate’s job is an entry level position so there is much that you will learn on the job.
If you have the skills set that is conducive to working in a public relations environment, you are bound to learn quickly and climb up the promotion ladder quickly.
Here are all the duties that you will be performing in this position:
Public Relations Associate Job Description
• Assist in the planning and execution of public relations programs.
• Proactively identify newsworthy stories for local and regional media.
• Reinforce the strategic agenda of the company to reach out to target markets.
• Develop and pitch new story ideas to create media opportunities for the business.
• Maintain media lists for targeted launches and outreach programs.
• Assist in developing key communications materials such as press kits, media mailers, and fact sheets.
• Provide support to the marketing department in identifying industry trends.
• Assist both marketing and sales in all public relations and marketing efforts.
• Develop and execute customer-focused public relations campaigns through powerful brand messages.
• Conduct research for target markets by conforming to territory requirements.
• Interact with customers to facilitate marketing and sales initiatives.
• Update social media with company promotion information and respond to customers’ answers.
• Coordinate the flow of information between departments by acting as liaison.
• Create and deliver public relations materials such as press releases, white papers, executive bios, corporate newsletter content, and proposals.
• Supervise social media outreach activities and create and distribute surveys.
• Plan and execute press conferences by handling details such as time, place and agenda.