Are you a prep cook? Looking for a resume that you can use to apply for a job? Well, there are many things that you will need to keep in mind before you start writing one. You will need to highlight the work experience and skills sections with a lot of care. But before you do that, you need to think about the core responsibilities and skills needed for this position.
Let us see what a prep cook does. This is an important position where an individual is required to perform support duties in a kitchen. This may include preparing food for cooking, preparing and fixing menu items as directed, setting up work stations and helping with food inventory and supplies management. Prep cooks usually work in settings where there is a wide variety and quantity of food to be prepared such as hotels and restaurants. At times, prep cooks are also expected to cook along with the chef or in place of.
The following is a resume sample for this position that outlines a prep cook’s responsibilities and skills as an employer would want to see them.
Related: Prep Cook Cover Letter
Prep Cook Resume Sample
389 Spring Creek Drive ● Benton, AR 63002
Residence: (999) 999-9999 ● Cell: (010) 000-1110 ● Email:
Over three years of food service experience in one of the finest hotel chains of the country. Demonstrated proficiency in preparing and serving delicious and appetizing food compliant with predefined portion control procedures, standardized recipes and special diet needs. Able to evaluate needs, processes and overall performance and recommend improvements. Exceptional skills in food preparation and slicing equipment. Well versed in following protocols for safe and sanitary preparation of food items. Hands on experience of preparing a multitude of oriental and Far East dishes.
Hyatt, Benton, AR | Mar 2011 – Present
• Chop vegetables and fruits for cooking
• Make salads and put together entrees
• Prepare meat for cooking by slicing and cutting appropriately
• Prepare ingredients as instructed
• Ensure ovens and stoves are clean and ready for use
• Clean kitchen counters and other work areas
• Wash dishes and cooking utensils
• Received letter of appreciation from the CEO for organizing luncheon attended by nobels with less than 12-hour notice
• Planned, coordinated and executed breakfast, lunch, dinner for huge events
• Established changes in traditional process to alter staff mind-set from reactive to proactive
Marriott, Benton, AR | Jan 2010 – Mar 2011
• Cleaned and mopped kitchen floor
• Washed dishes and maintained equipment
• Cleaned counters and took out trash
• Assisted in food preparation when instructed
• Cleaned the food supplies area
Benton City School, Benton, AR
High School Diploma – 2001
• Exceptional attention to detail
• Proven ability to follow recipes effectively
• Self motivated and flexible
• Able to work in a high paced environment
• Capability of standing for long periods of time