A college student worker is an individual who provides first line assistance to both new and existing students.
He or she is hired primarily from within the college because existing students know the inner workings of the college office (to a great extent) and need minimal training.
Sometimes, a college students who is currently enrolled may be hired to perform these services.
Typically, a college degree (midway or completed) is the main prerequisite of hiring a college student worker, especially when hiring from an external source. In addition to the academic part of this work, it is necessary for a person aspiring to work as a college student to be resourceful and energetic, with a great ability to work well with people from different backgrounds. In addition to this, a college student worker has to be pleasant and patient, as he or she may come across a lot of situations where both these will need to be applied.
Strong knowledge of college admission systems and processes, and exceptional ability to provide information of both internal and external student financial aid is also important. Also, it is imperative for college student workers to be able to handle correspondence and data entry work. If this is the career line that you want to pick up, have a look at the following list of duties particular to the position of a college student worker:
Sample Job Description for College Student Worker Resume
• Welcome students and their parents and guardians as they arrive at the college administrative office or the front desk
• Inquire politely into their purpose of visit and provide them with detailed answers on the information that they require
• Assist new students in understanding and navigating the admission procedure, providing them with detailed information on processes and expectation
• Provide support in filling out admissions forms and inform students about required documents
• Enter all form information into the college’s database, checking the information for accuracy, and ensuring its integrity throughout
• Handle college correspondence such as letters, memos and student communication by following established protocols
• Provide the school office with clerical support such as copying and scanning documents and handling typing work
• Assist in setting up and breaking down events such as annual days, plays and open houses
• Provide assistance in the college library, ensuring that all resources and books are in check and placed appropriately
• Oversee college office supplies inventory, ensuring that any items low in stock are acquired in a timely manner
Last updated on