Pet Sitter Job Description
Pet sitters look after pets while the owners are away.
Since looking after pets is a great responsibility, pet owners prefer to hire people who have a natural love for animals and understand the different ways in which pets need to be taken care of.
Some pet sitters may be required to come in a few times a day to check on a pet and feed them; others may be expected to stay the entire length of the day that a pet owner is away.
Some pet sitters are also required to stay overnight especially when the owner may have gone on a vacation.
Empathy for animals is an essential quality of a successful pet sitter.
The following is a list of common duties and responsibilities of a pet sitter.
Sample Duties and Responsibilities for a Pet Sitter Resume
• Make pets familiar with self by showing empathy
• Perform grooming duties such as bathing and combing
• Ensure that pets are fed and given water at proper intervals
• Make sure that pets are walked several times a day to take care of their personal needs
• Take instructions from pet owners regarding exercise needs and ensure that they are carried out
• Accompany pets to veterinary doctor’s appointments for vaccinations
• Clean litter boxes and ensure that they are refilled properly
• Dispense and administer medication when instructed by the pet owner
• Feed fish and ensure that aquariums are cleaned and refilled
• Play with pets such as cats, dogs, and rabbits to ensure that they have a feeling of companionship
• Ensure that pets are free of lice
• Observe pets for behavior issues and report them immediately
• Make sure that pet owners know of any suspected diseases or conditions that the pet may be going through
• Clean up paw prints on carpets or floors
• Shop for pet food in accordance with the pets’ personal choices
• Provide training to puppies and kittens