Resume summaries are detailed accounts of what a candidate is capable of contributing to a company. Often, an entire resume is summarized in them, making it easy for a hiring manager to determine what the rest of the document holds, without him or her having to do the rounds of it. Mostly, a good resume summary will force the hiring manager into reading the rest of the resume in detail too. In case he decides not to, the summary will suffice in providing the needed information.
A resume summary needs a lot of thought. You cannot just write anything in it. In fact, it is that part of a resume which requires much in terms of detailed information regarding your skills and abilities – as they relate to the job for which you are applying. Resume summaries are short paragraphs of detail about your candidature, and there really is no rule to how they should be constructed. Every candidate sees her or his own convenience when writing one, making this part of the resume completely customized.
When you write a resume summary, make sure that there are no selfish elements in it. For instance, talking about yourself to pose as if you are everything is not such as great idea. But telling the employer how great you are for his or her benefit is! Here are some examples:
• Highly experienced and well-organized QA Tester, with exceptional skills in tracking reported bugs and escalating them to product management or engineering personnel, post validation. Exceptionally well-versed in working closely with the backend, frontend and design and production teams.
• Top-performing QA Tester with over 13 years of experience in resolving challenging problems such as system and software bugs, placing special value on ensuring minimum downtime. Highly skilled in preparing and executing test cases for all functional areas of applications.
• Exceptionally talented and well-organized individual with 10 years’ track record in quality assurance testing. Demonstrated expertise in working with development teams to troubleshoot issues that arise with testing applications and working with business analysts to comprehend and contribute to business user functional processes.
• Proficient and resourceful individual with extensive experience working in quality assurance arena. Effectively design testing scopes and objectives for each project, and review requirements and performing quality assurance tests.
• Self-motivated and dependable QA Tester with extensive exposure to determining, preparing and maintaining quality test strategies, designing test frameworks, and developing correlating test scripts, to ensure quality at each level of assigned projects.