While visual merchandisers do not have anything to do with the sales and marketing teams of a company directly, they assist in considerably increasing a company’s sales.
Visual merchandisers usually work in the fashion industry where their primary job is to ensure that the visual appearance of a shop – usually the display window – is appropriately projected. But dressing mannequins is not all that they do.
Visual merchandisers are responsible for making the company’s products appealing to customers.
Since eye-catching visual displays entice customers to buy products (even if they don’t need them), it is essential for companies to hire people to make sure that this is possible.
Imagine passing by a shop and seeing the black and red dress you have always wanted to be draped beautifully on a mannequin. Will you be tempted to go in right? Right! That is the visual effect displays have on customers, and that is what visual merchandisers are required to make sure happens!
Visual merchandisers do not only handle visual displays; they also assist customers inside the shop by helping them in dressing rooms and even managing the cash register at times. Since this work requires one to be extremely customer oriented, it is essential to be able to exercise tact and patience so that customer satisfaction can be ensured.
Sample Job Description for Visual Merchandiser Resume
• Conceptualize visual merchandising strategies and ensure that their implementation is done positively.
• Devise plans to encompass the store’s complete look regarding visual appearance.
• Make decisions about what types of mannequins will be displayed in the display window.
• Dress mannequins in clothes that are on the top range within the store.
• Make sure that other decorations on the window display are handled in an aesthetically pleasing manner.
• Ensure that mannequins that work well with the company image are procured in a time-efficient way.
• Devise new ideas for window displays and promotional concepts.
• Formulate and implement marketing gimmicks with a view to attract customers to step inside the shop.
• Make sure that the store environment is welcoming and ambient.
• Ensure that store displays are changed according to weekly, monthly or seasonal themes.
• Interact with customers to determine changes that should be made to make the store more attractive.
• Handle inventory management and stocking activities.
• Ensure that both window display and store areas are kept clean and functional at all times.
• Make sure that window displays depict the style and message of the company.