In order to apply for a copy editor position, you will need to create a compelling resume.
In your resume, mention your qualifications, experiences, and achievements.
Typically, your resume for a copy editor position should look something like the following sample.
Copy Editor Resume Example
21 Spring Hill, Highlands Ranch, CO 02300
rick.mason @ email . com
Highly accomplished Copy Editor with over 6 years of experience in liaising with authors and writers to help them create flawless pieces of writing. Able to perform copy editing work on magazines, newspapers, and books along with coordinating the work of co-authors and ghostwriters.
• Demonstrated expertise in ensuring that the text of works is engaging and accessible to target readers.
• Effectively performed fact-checks to ensure that text is true and accurate.
• Familiar with coding manuscripts for design features, including the hierarchy of headings.
• Skilled in ensuring that illustrations are correctly captioned and that any references are appropriately written.
• Proof Reading • Syntax Management
• Author / Publisher Liaison • Inconsistency Management
• Design Incorporation • Indexing and Typesetting
• Style Guidelines • Fact Checking
• Content Ideas Development • Text Space Allocation
• Referencing • Submission Evaluation
• Successfully managed to edit a 500-page manuscript within 2 days, just in time for it to be sent to the publisher.
• Wrote a booklet on style guides, now being used as a bible for all onboard short story writers.
• Created meaningful liaisons with 5 top publishers in the state, making printing and publishing duties less cumbersome.
• Incorporated a system into the proofreading stage which dynamically highlighted text inconsistencies and provided suggestions for making it coherent.
The Learning Experience, Highlands Ranch, CO
11/2019 – Present
• Read the text for ads, books, and articles and perform copy editing and proofreading activities
• Strengthen text to make sure that it communicates ideas to the readers, in a bid to make it reader-friendly
• Make all corrections using standard proofreading benchmarks and route proofs to be reviewed or reprinted
• Work with authors and writers to ensure that the content that they have written is in sync with initial writing objectives
• Review jackets, covers, and promotional materials for books and magazines to ensure that they are in sync with the content
11/2016 – 11/2019
ADF Co, Highlands Ranch, CO
• Performed research to acquire data to write informational articles and booklets
• Scheduled and managed teams of freelance copywriters and oversee their work to ensure that they are following instructions properly
• Retrieved articles from archives and rearranged them to fit into existing publications
• Ensured that all publications were prepared within budget and the time schedule provided
Conde Nast, Highlands Ranch, CO
7/2016 – 11/2016
• Wrote fictional and non-fiction pieces, depending on the specific instructions of each client
• Proofread and edited each piece of work produced and made any changes required by clients
Bachelor’s Degree in Communications
Colorado State University, Highlands Ranch, CO