Your resume is perhaps your only chance to tell a hiring manager that you are perfect for the job.
However, most resumes focus on an applicant’s experience and education and fail to provide information on how well-suited he or she is for the job.
The serious mistake that most of us make in ignoring the skills section within a resume is often our downfall. In the good news department, you can do a lot to save the day.
Writing the skills section is no rocket science. You will need to analyze yourself a little bit before you decide what to put into it though.
Talk to yourself about how well you can fit into the position. See if it suits you as well. If all is okay, you can proceed to create a skills list that meets the requirements of the prospective employer.
While there are no tricks to doing this, a little insight into writing skills statements is necessary. How does one highlight one’s skills on a resume?
It is not at all difficult if you are aware of what you have to offer. In fact, it is just a matter of putting your skills in a section dedicated for this purpose, in a manner that is acceptable to a hiring manager.
Some skills statements for a department manager position are provided here for your reference:
Sample Skills Statements for Department Manager Resume
• Highly experienced in scheduling staff to handle their duties, in their respective areas.
• Demonstrated expertise in assisting marketing staff in carrying out merchandising activities, by following a set merchandising plan.
• Effectively able to handle stock control duties, by creating and maintaining liaison with vendors and suppliers to ensure that low stock situations do not arise.
• Exceptionally well-versed in forecasting future sales, and providing department heads with information on what to expect regarding sales targets and goals.
• Deep familiarity with handling customer service activities, aiming for total customer satisfaction, and repeat business opportunities.
• Adept at handling accounts analysis work, and creating, developing, and implementing sales strategies to ensure that targets are met.
• Demonstrated expertise in handling staff recruitment and training activities, placing special focus on ensuring that existing staff’s ongoing training needs are addressed.
• Documented success in strategizing ways to enforce quality customer care, and maintain and improve company standards.
• Proficient in supervising and coordinating the activities of workers within the department, and assigning duties, keeping in mind each individual team member’s specific skills.