Scope of Library Assistant Job
Library assistants provide support to certified librarians in managing overall library operations. They work in different establishments including public libraries, private library concerns and academic libraries (in school, colleges and universities). Their main responsibility is to organize the library materials efficiently so that members and patrons can be serviced in a professional manner.
As part of their work, library assistants roam around the library in order to provide assistance to patrons by helping them locate resources and books. Some libraries prefer to hire bilingual or multilingual library assistants so that they can help patrons translate text from one language to another. They also answer any questions that members put to them along with ensuring that all library material is cataloged properly.
This is not all; library assistants also circulate library materials so that they available for use at all times and ensure that any returned books or materials are shelved properly. As and when new books or materials arrive at the library, it is the duty of a library assistant to classify them, place bar codes and place them in appropriate shelves.
Most entry-level library assistants are required to be high school graduates; senior library assistants may need to have completed college coursework in library sciences. Working at either the entry-level or an experienced one, it is important for library assistants to write resumes that show professionalism.
Since a resume objective is read first as an employer scans a resume, it is important to write a compelling one. Following are some sample job objectives of a library assistant:
Library Assistant Resume Objective Examples
For Entry Level Candidates
• Looking for a position as a Library Assistant at Michigan State University using extensive knowledge of library operations, Web 2.0 tools, serials, and library databases to provide patrons with effective assistance.
• Dynamic and results-oriented individual seeking a Library Assistant position with Purdue University. Bringing profound skills in organizing library materials, checking materials as well as exceptional clerical abilities to assist in running smooth library operations.
For Experienced Candidates
• A Library Assistant position with Amherst High School. Offering extensive experience in handling library functions along with providing assistance to library patrons and managing interlibrary loans and managing book reserve duties.
• To work for Auburn University as a Library Assistant where strong familiarity with managing library service in a support role can be used to facilitate smooth operations. Strong interest in public relations and able to deliver quality service.
• To obtain employment as a Library Assistant with the University of Miami utilizing wide-ranging expertise in handling library materials circulations systems in order to provide members with appropriately streamlined library services.