A Library Shelver resume is incomplete if it does not contain the information that a hiring manager is looking for. Most of this depends on the type of format that one uses.
If you look through the following resume sample, you will know exactly what you need to put into your own resume:
Sample Resume for Library Shelver Position
Salt Lake City, UT
dorad @email .com
Uniquely qualified Library Shelver with over 11 years of hands-on experience in sorting and shelving in large and busy libraries. Proficient in handling indexing and docking work, with a special focus on patron service and satisfaction. Organized and punctual with the ability to follow oral and written instructions. Effectively sorts and files books alphabetically and numerically. Known for establishing good working relationships with staff and library patrons.
- Space Maximization
- Shelf Order and Configuration
- Indexing Procedures
- Materials Condition Monitoring
- Book Repairs/Replacements
- Supplier Relations
- Documents Scanning
- Patron Assistance
- Queries Handling
- Book Recommendations
- Stocking and Inventory
- Digital Storage Handling
• Revamped the entire indexing system, making it 80% more efficient than the one already in place.
• Led 6 reading clubs within the library premises in the absence of volunteers.
• Successfully replaced 112 old books with new editions by using vendor contacts.
• Introduced the concept of digital storage and indexing system putting the library on the map of “good” libraries by patrons.
St. Louis Public Library, Salt Lake City, UT
11/2017 – Present
- Greet patrons as they arrive and provide them with information on where their choice of materials is placed.
- Assist patrons in locating books and other reading materials and ensure that they are seated comfortably.
- Receive books and materials from patrons and place them in their specific areas.
- Ensure that all books and other reading materials are properly shelved in their respective spaces.
- Create and maintain indexing systems that are easy to navigate and comprehend.
- Electronically or physically retrieve documents requested by patrons.
- Clean shelves on a regular basis ensuring that any need for book repairs or replacements is identified and reported.
- Maintain effective liaison with book vendors and suppliers to ensure deliveries in an accurate and timely fashion.
City Public Library, Salt Lake City, UT
2/2012 – 11/2017
- Volunteered assistance in finding books and periodicals and other reading materials for library patrons.
- Provided direction to patrons by showing them the indexing system and how to navigate it.
- Assisted in shelving and retrieving books and materials according to set library procedures.
- Cleaned and tidied bookshelves on a regular basis ensuring that any torn books or materials are reported.
- Sorted books and other reading materials according to predefined procedures such as alpha-numeric systems.
High School Diploma
Salt Lake City High School, Salt Lake City, UT
- Library Software
- MS Word and Excel
Library Shelver Job Description for Resume
- Greet patrons as they arrive at the library, and respond to their requests for books and materials.
- Lead or direct patrons to their desired materials, and provide further assistance if required.
- Assist patrons in picking out books that may be difficult to reach, by climbing onto ladders.
- Provide patrons with books check-in and out information, ensuring that they follow procedure.
- Organize shelves in assigned areas, ensuring that all books and other reading materials are properly placed and organized.
- Categorize reading materials according to the genre, ensuring that series are placed together.
- Check the books to determine their conditions, and provide the library manager with feedback on tattered materials, and the need for more.
- Maintain proper shelf order for all collections, based on predetermined organizational schemes.
- Monitor the condition of books and materials, and send them for repairs when required.
- Maintain configuration of shelves, aiming to ensure easy access to all documents.
Library Shelver Skills for Resume
You will never be considered for a library shelver job if you are not skilled in the areas that hiring managers want you to be.
In fact, you have to make sure that your skills are communicated to a hiring manager through well-developed and structured skills statements.
Your resume is the perfect place to communicate your skills. Using this avenue to do the job is perhaps the most intelligent thing that you can do when applying for a position.
Skills information never disappoints hiring managers, unless it is presented in the wrong way. If so, it can make a negative impact on how a hiring manager sees you. To make sure that this does not happen, you have to ensure that your skills are highlighted using words and phrases that ring true and do not seem as if they are written haphazardly.
When developing a resume, make sure that the skills section is given high priority. That is because skills information comes right after the resume objective, proving how important it is. Make sure that you do justice to it by crafting statements that the hiring manager cannot ignore.
Remember that the more aligned you are with a hiring manager’s objective, the better your chances of being selected for a position will be.
Here are some examples of skills statements for a library shelver position for your reference:
- Highly skilled in handling shelf-stocking activities, keeping in mind the specifics of library rules and regulations.
- Effectively able to place books and materials in an organized manner, ensuring that the library’s shelving system is followed.
- Experienced in assisting patrons in locating library materials and books, and directing them to their chosen areas within the library.
- Demonstrated expertise in reshelving returned library materials, which have been used within the library.
- Well-versed in ensuring that library stock is in the correct position on library shelves.
- Proven ability to handle damaged or torn books and materials, according to library protocols and procedures.
- Solid track record of processing new materials, such as wrapping books, typing and applying spine labels, and managing minor book repairs.
- Adept at supporting the efficiency of library services, by effectively sorting, shelving, and tidying library materials accurately and in an orderly fashion.
- Proficient in recording daily shelving statistics, for the review of the management.
- Familiar with overseeing the activities of volunteers, and assisting in leading book clubs and associated activities.