Working as a voice actor can be a lot of fun. However, it is a lot of hard work too.
As a voice actor, your main job is to provide your voice for different genres, such as commercials, TV shows, movies, and documentaries.
Typically, voice actors work for studios, where they are expected to see visuals and lend their voices accordingly.
In order to work at this position, one needs to have the right voice quality, and the ability to speak properly.
Instructions are provided by directors, who would want you to follow them exactly. Moreover, you will be required to understand the character that you will lend your voice to.
Eligibility criteria to work as a voice actor does not involve formal education. However, you do need to be able to read and comprehend scripts and instructions. If you have previous acting training, you will be considered a good person to hire.
Here is a list of duties that you will perform when working as a voice actor:
Voice Actor Job Description
• Listen to and comprehend instructions for voiceover projects.
• Study actors in order to determine their specific personalities.
• Practice voiceovers to set quality and tone.
• Obtain instruction and guidance for voice quality, tone, and speed.
• Read scripts in order to determine what needs to be said.
• Provide initial voiceover takes.
• Meet with directors and go over scripts in order to understand what needs to be said, and how.
• Check sound systems in recording studios.
• Read the script once, and acquire guidance for changes.
• Provide takes until one is finalized.
• Perform innovations, for example, multiple voices and voice changes.
• Develop new voices for mimicry projects.
• Bring out the personality of the character through constant practice.
• Alter voice pitch depending on the scene being voiced over for.
• Ensure that the quality of voice remains the same throughout the voiceover session.
• Provide a voice for video games, by assuming a narrative or a creative tone.
• Practice different accents.
• Watch playback of videos in order to time voices.
• Deliver the same lines in a number of different ways.
• Sing songs related to the character, both for projects where voice has been lent, and those voiced over by other actors.
• Provide a voice for different projects such as video messages, PABX messages, and demos.
• Tweak voice in order to ensure that quality metrics are met.