Technology has not only brought convenience with it; it has also brought difficulties.
Since most companies rely on digital data – some of it extremely sensitive – we are always wondering how to protect it from people who may use it against us.
The need to hire professionals to help us do this is much higher than it ever was now.
That is because hackers and other people with nefarious activities in mind have become experts at stealing data.
Chief information security officers are hired to establish and maintain a company’s data and to make sure that it is adequately protected from mischief-makers.
The position of a chief information security officer is a senior-level executive position which comes with a lot of responsibility.
That is to say, he or she is required to align security initiatives to ensure that both information assets and technologies are protected properly. Since the time that chief information security officers were first hired, their job description has somewhat shifted from general security to a more advanced level.
Chief information security officers are now required to identify, develop and implement security-related processes so that a company’s operational risks can be minimized.
People who wish to work as chief information security officers will need to possess s university degree in computer sciences or information technology.
Some duties that chief information security officers perform on each workday include:
Chief Information Security Officer Job Description Sample
• Determine and implement enterprise information systems security standards
• Ensure that predetermined information security standards are developed according to state regulations and the company’s procedural information
• Provide security advice to the company based on tactical information
• Ensure the security and functionality of all information systems within the company
• Develop and implement effective security monitoring protocols
• Respond to and remediate information security threats on an immediate basis
• Conduct security risk assessments and ensure that company management is made aware of them
• Implement a security awareness program with a view to make other information security personnel aware of situations and threats
• Ensure that remediation efforts are managed in a proactive manner in a bid to make them successful in the first attempt
• Establish and oversee the company’s security architecture and ensure that any discrepancies or need for improvement is addressed immediately
• Work with other information technology personnel to establish disaster recovery and business continuity plans
• Implement video surveillance and ensure that all security initiatives are prioritized
• Investigate data security breaches, apprehend offenders and implement disciplinary procedures
• Conduct audits and investigations to discover and address security holes and risks
• Oversee the selection, testing and deployment and maintenance of security hardware and software