Interviews are dodgy on the whole – they take a lot from us in terms of confidence.
However, they are such an important part of the job application process that you cannot do without them. A dozen questions thrown your way, one after the other, can be disconcerting. However, your preparation of the process will give you many brownie points.
One question that 99% of employers ask interviewees is why should we hire you?
Now, answering this question may mean you finding yourself in a quandary about what to say. Should you boast about how good you are, or should you be humble about the whole thing? Keeping a balance here is important. Hiring managers will want the truth from you, but they will also require you to keep boasting to a minimum. There really are very few ways of getting out of this by impressing the hiring manager completely. Complete honesty at this point is probably not a good idea.
You may want to say that you don’t have a job and would like to be hired so that you can earn money. Leave this unsaid. Instead of saying that you need a job, talk about how well you can work within the company where you have applied, because of the many skills that you possess. Emphasize on the combination of skills that you possess, and what it is that makes you stand out from the crowd.
To answer this very important (yet difficult to answer) question, you have to make sure that you focus on the employer’s needs, and not yours. Address cultural fits, and avoid clichés. Have a look at some sample answers to this question, to gain ideas:
Why Should We Hire You? Sample Answers
• It is a position that requires a lot of stamina and hard work, and since I am cut out for both, I believe that hiring me will be a good idea.
• I believe that I am an excellent candidate to work in this position. This is because my skills and abilities align extremely well with what you have outlined in your job description. While working at this position, I will have a lot to contribute to the company.
• Possessing the right combination of skills and experience makes me just the right person to be hired at this position. This, in sync with my ability to handle various tasks at the same time, without compromising on the quality of work, makes me an excellent person to hire.
• I am confident that I can increase the customer base of your company by at least 50%, in the coming 6 months. This, in addition to the fact that I am exceptionally well-suited to the requirements of this position, is why I believe that I should be hired.
• Where cash is concerned, the word meticulous does not describe my work prowess completely. As a reliable, and diligent individual, I am positive that I will be a credit to your organization, in more ways than one.
Last updated on