Hotel housemen provide janitorial and maintenance support to hotels and other such facilities by ensuring that the premises are clean and tidy at all times.
They prepare rooms for guests and ensure that auditoriums and meeting rooms are well equipped and neat.
Also, they are responsible for cleaning lobbies and bathrooms along with stocking guest rooms with necessary items like soaps, tissues, and towels.
Some considerations need to be kept in mind when applying for this position. Housemen usually need to work over the holidays; therefore, they require a flexible schedule. Typically, this person needs to possess at least a high school diploma. Some employers prefer that the prospective houseman own some prior cleaning experience.
Related: Hotel Houseman Resume
Duties and Tasks of a Hotel Houseman
- Maintain and clean rooms, bathrooms, and work areas
- Clean furnishings and carpets
- Clean and maintain common areas within the hotel
- Shovel snow from walkways
- Assist with bellman duties when required
- Reply to guests’ questions and handle any concerns
- Assist front desk staff when required
- Replenish supplies in guest rooms
- Change bed linens and empty trash as needed
- Assist housekeeping staff with laundry removal
A hotel houseman is usually trained on the job, but employers prefer that the candidate they hire possesses some inherent qualities such as a pleasing personality, excellence in communication, and above all, exceptional customer orientation.
Hotel housemen may, from time to time, be required to go through rigorous training regimens in order to ensure the provision of excellent customer services.