Maintaining a sterile environment in a hospital is very important. But doing so is work that is constant in nature, which means that hospital housekeepers have to be on the lookout all of the time!
Hospital housekeepers are generally responsible for ensuring that the entire hospital is clean and sterilized. This is a difficult thing to do, which is why the job of a hospital housekeeping staff is considered challenging.
Education and Training
To be eligible to work as a hospital housekeeper, you do not need formal education. A high school diploma or a GED is sufficient. If you have some knowledge of cleaning practices, it will be a plus point. However, most of the training is provided on the job.
Sample Job Description for Hospital Housekeeping Resume
• Clean floors throughout the hospital, including rooms, lobbies, bathrooms and surgical halls
• Wipe counters and beds using a cloth dipped in sanitation mixture
• Perform dusting, mopping and vacuuming duties in patients’ rooms
• Mix cleaning and sanitizing liquids in appropriate quantities, by following safe mixing protocols
• Replenish soaps and toilet paper in bathrooms and ensure that bathroom floors, counters and fixtures are properly sanitized
• Change patients’ beds, using fresh linen, clean spills, and empty bedpans
• Scrub walls in patients’ rooms, waiting rooms, procedure rooms, surgical units and lobbies
• Ensure the availability of cleaning equipment and supplies at all times
• Confer with procurement officers to determine the number of supplies needed
• Take stock of linen, discard old linen and ensure that sufficient towels, bedsheets, bed covers, and pillows are available
• Receive supplies and ensure that they are stored properly
• Pick up laundry from patients’ rooms and deliver them to washing areas
• Wash linen and other laundry items, ensure that they are dried properly before folding them in neat stacks
• Deliver cleaned and folded laundry back to patients’ rooms
• Perform maintenance on cleaning and sanitizing equipment on a regular basis
• Maintain a good appearance of windows, doors, and curtains by cleaning, washing and dusting them on a regular basis