Generally, career experts discourage candidates from mentioning salary requirements in cover letters. Though a cover letter is an excellent opportunity for the same, mentioning salary requirements can harm your candidacy.
On the other hand, sometimes employers ask to include salary requirements in your job application.
In this scenario, there are some tips to consider to ensure that you mention your salary requirements appropriately and favorably, without affecting your candidacy negatively.
What to Write in a Cover Letter with Salary Requirements?
- Do not give a fixed figure; always provide a range.
- Make sure the range you provide is a competitive one, based on some research, not too high, not too low as compared to the market rate for the position.
- Mention salary requirements in the last paragraph, never in the beginning.
- Do not justify your requirement, just mentioning it should do the trick.
When you write a salary range, it is also advisable also to mention that the salary is negotiable.
The following is a sample cover letter for an administrative assistant with salary requirements.
See also: Negotiating Salary in Acceptance Letter
Cover Letter Sample with Salary Requirements
822 Marley Ave, Coleman, FL 98202
March 26, 2021
Mr. Kyle Tyson
89 Inky Ave
Coleman, FL 98202
Dear Mr. Tyson:
In response to your job advertisement cited on your website, I wish to apply for the position of Administrative Assistant at FTD Enterprises. My 5+ years’ firsthand experience in the secretarial field, coupled with exceptional computer skills and profound knowledge of administrative tasks, makes me a perfect contender for this position.
Some highlights of my competencies follow:
- Adept at time management, calendar keeping, and multi-tasking.
- Active customer dealing and front desk handling skills.
- Capable of acting as a liaison between employees and management.
- Experienced in planning agendas and conferences.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee stay and travel arrangements of managers and delegates on behalf of the company.
In your advertisement, you mentioned the requirement of familiarity with payroll processing. I offer exceptional skills in processing weekly payrolls employees accurately. Being a born team player, I am amply capable of getting along well with the employees and management.
Per requirement, my expected salary is $40000 – $50000 per year, which is negotiable. I can’t wait to meet with your HR committee to discuss the position in detail and to join your team in the capacity of an administrative assistant. Please call me at the above numbers to set up an interview.
Thank you for your time and consideration. My resume is enclosed for your perusal.