Hotel cleaners are hired specifically to ensure that the premises are kept clean and maintained at all times.
Since a hotel’s repute depends on its cleanliness, a hotel cleaner is hired after much scrutiny.
The interview process to hire one includes questions pertaining to what the applicant knows about the work, and how much they can contribute to the overall image of the hotel.
At an interview for a hotel cleaner position, you will be asked many questions related to your skills in cleaning and maintenance.
Some of the possible questions (along with answers) for a hotel cleaner position are provided below.
Interview Questions and Answers for a Hotel Cleaner Position
1. Tell me a little bit about yourself.
It has been 5 years since I have been working as part of the housekeeping staff at a popular hotel. I aspired to work in this position ever since I held an apprenticeship at an inn. I am excellent at what I do and enjoy working in a challenging environment.
2. What are specific work duties you have performed?
As a hotel cleaner, I have many responsibilities, including cleaning rooms, offices, lobbies, bathrooms, and stairways, and washing rugs and carpets. Emptying waste bins and ashtrays is also part of my work. In addition, I am responsible for picking up soiled linen from guests’ rooms and delivering them to laundry areas. My work also includes performing polishing and waxing work.
3. Tell us a little about your skills.
I am a highly diligent individual, who leaves no stone unturned to get things done. I possess excellent knowledge of cleaning processes and can carry them out flawlessly. My skills also include sanitizing surfaces such as floors, tables, and counters by following the right protocols.
4. What do you like most about this work?
I love the fact that I am constantly on the go. I like working in a capacity where there is something happening all the time.
5. What do you dislike about this work?
Honestly, nothing. It is highly enjoyable working as a hotel cleaner, as there is so much to learn.
6. What do you find rewarding about this work?
Working as a hotel cleaner is rewarding on many levels, such as the feeling that guests and employees remain in a consistently clean and safe environment.
7. How do you ensure safe sanitizing?
I strictly follow protocols when mixing sanitizing chemicals, and ensure that they are used in a safe manner. I follow all proper procedures for cleaning and sanitizing, making sure that guests do not come in contact with them directly.
8. How would you react if you were asked to do something not part of your job description?
I would be glad to help. I do not mind going the extra mile to do my work, even if it is not part of the original job description.
9. What is your greatest strength?
My greatest strength is my ability to handle more than one cleaning task at a time.
10. What is your greatest weakness?
I sometimes feel that I do not know when to stop. I want to keep working even when I know I am ahead.
11. How would you react to a guest screaming at you?
I wouldn’t react negatively. I would listen to what the guest’s issue is, and then try to resolve it as best as I can.
12. Do you sometimes lose your temper?
I believe that if you lose your temper, you lose everything. So, I try to keep my temper in check at all times.
13. What would you do if you saw a coworker steal from the inventory?
I would report them immediately so that no harm comes to the organization. It would be my professional duty to do so.
14. How do you feel working the night shift?
I do not mind working the night shift. I am presently working on one, and it is quite comfortable for me.
15. What do you feel about the rule that says that a cleaner’s work should be seen and not the cleaner?
I feel that it is an archaic way of thinking in a professional setting. A guest is bound to come in contact with a cleaner now and then, and that should be okay. But a cleaner’s work should definitely be seen.
16. What is your experience in polishing furniture?
I am highly experienced in polishing furniture and fixtures. I know the right chemicals and cleaners to use, and I can also handle floor waxing work with great expertise.
17. What do you feel is most complicated when working as a hotel cleaner?
I feel that one makes one’s own complications and that the work is pretty straightforward. Dwelling on complications instead of resolving them makes things worse.
18. Tell me about your least favorite cleaning job.
While I do not like to admit this, washing bathrooms is not a great favorite of mine. However, it is part of the job, so I do what I can to make it as easy as possible for myself.
19. Do you keep records of all the cleaning jobs that you do in a shift?
Yes, I maintain a log of all cleaning tasks that I perform during my shift. I tick the ones that I have done as soon as I am done with them.
20. If we decide to hire you, when is the soonest that you can join us?
I can join you as soon as my notice period is over at my current workplace. That will be 30 days from the time that I hand in my notice.
21. Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?
5 years from now, I hope to be working as a housekeeping manager for your company.
22. Do you have any questions for me?
Yes, I would like to know more about the criteria for hiring a cleaner at your hotel.