Typically, a handyman is a jack of all trades who is expected to perform repair work, maintenance duties and handling all kinds of tasks at employer’s premises. Handymen should be talented in many areas such as fixing a leaky toilet or maintaining air conditioning units.
There are times when home repairs cannot be done on our own and this is the time when we hire the services of handymen. Generally, handymen are paid on per project or hourly basis but they may also have set rates on which they work. Handymen do not have to possess formal education but they must be highly skilled in what they do. Physical agility is a prerequisite of working as a handyman so if you are thinking of applying for a job at this position, you must be physically dexterous.
Since home maintenance is what people usually call handymen for, it is important for handymen to be trustworthy. Handymen also need to be good in making mental calculations and be able to work in inclement weather conditions.
• Meet clients to understand their needs for repair or maintenance
• Provide clients with a tentative quote of costs and information regarding procurement of materials
• Draw up work contracts and ask clients to sign them for future reference
• Contact suppliers to determine if all materials are available and look for alternatives for unavailable items
• Buy materials, tools and equipment and make repair or maintenance plan based on information derived from inspection
• Inspect building to determine the extent of repair and maintenance needed
• Perform a variety of repair and maintenance duties such as fixing leaky pipes and sprinkler systems and electric wires
• Perform maintenance work on HVAC systems by using a variety of tools and machinery
• Fix roofs and walls and handle wall painting activities
• Wash and maintain vehicles by using correct mixtures of soap and cleaning chemicals
• Perform preventative and general maintenance on vehicle engines
• Calculate final costs incurred on projects, create bills and present them to clients
• Take cash in exchange of services rendered and tender any change
• Follow up with client to determine if any further services may be needed or if the work already performed has lasted