Server Position Overview
Working in the hospitality industry, servers perform many tasks from food preparation to serving and clearing tables.
Because the job of a server requires an individual to be in constant contact with customers, it is essential for servers to be pleasant and customer service-oriented.
It is the job of a server to create a comfortable environment for guests while they are at a restaurant.
Positive customer interaction and practical serving skills are two critical parts of this job.
Of course, knowledge and experience of dining activities are equally important.
As part of their job, servers need to be attentive and possess some basic understanding of cooking.
Some duties that are particular to a server’s job are listed below. These bullet statements can be utilized to write a resume for this position.
Sample Job Duties for Server Resume
- Greet guests as they arrive, accompany them to tables, and provide menus.
- Assist customers in the decision-making process by providing information about food and special drinks.
- Take and repeat orders in a bid to ensure the accuracy of orders.
- Inform customers of the approximate time that their order will take to prepare and serve.
- Provide kitchen staff with order information manually or through POS.
- Ensure that tables are ready by performing duties such as laying out napkins, flatware, dishware, and glassware.
- Change tablecloths on used tables and ensure that dishes are cleared away promptly.
- Assist customers in selecting their drinks and provide any food preparation details that they may ask for.
- Pick up orders from the kitchen and check them for accuracy and serving size.
- Deliver orders to the customers’ tables and ask them if they are satisfied with the quality.
- Ask customers if they would like additions to their orders.
- Replenish drinks and salad bowls on customers’ instructions.
- Open and pour wine by following appropriate restaurant protocols.
- Take complaints and suggestions from customers and ensure that they are relayed to the proper authorities and are addressed properly.
- Clear and set buffet tables and provide a constant supply of food items during buffet time.
- Maintain knowledge of preparing food items listed on the menu.