A Personal Support Worker or PSW is responsible for assisting elderly or disabled clients in the activities of daily living.
The job is quite challenging and requires genuine compassion as well as excellent physical stamina.
In light of the challenging nature of the job, the resume for the PSW position should be tailored accordingly. That is to say, it will need an extraordinary objective that reflects the candidate’s knowledge of personal support work and willingness to contribute.
Significance of a PSW Resume Objective
Your objective for the PSW resume is beneficial to you as well as the employers.
In fact, it identifies your specific goals in the field of personal care and helps employers rapidly determine if your aim is well-matched with their needs.
A well-written objective for the PSW resume increases the chances of an interview.
There are many styles used to build a compelling PSW objective. These are discussed below, along with some sample objectives.
Sample Objectives for Personal Support Worker Resume
A common PSW objective is a concise statement, mentioning the name of the position being sought along with the company name, along with some relevant competencies. For example:
1. Seeking a Personal Support Worker position at XYZ Company utilizing personal care knowledge and practical communication skills to assist residents to live a dignified life.
2. Looking for a PSW position with ABC Organization. Offers expertise in providing daily life support and companionship to clients. Exceptional talent for maintaining healthy conversational relationships with clients and assisting them with daily living tasks.
3. To work for Calgary Care as a Personal Support Worker. Bringing great homemaking abilities, personal care training and effective communication skills to bring a positive difference in the lives of clients.
If the candidate has hands-on experience and wishes to include the same in the objective statement, then the following format can be adopted. This format is more appealing as compared to the first one.
4. Extremely compassionate and dependable Personal Support Worker with 5+ years of experience, seeking work in the same capacity with AA Care. Ability to think critically and make decisions in emergency situations. Exceptional house management skills.
5. Seasoned Personal Support Worker eager to work for a renowned agency. Bringing 5+ years’ hands-on experience in personal assistance, housekeeping, and companionship for the elderly and disabled clients.
It is highly recommended to read the prospective employer’s requirements carefully before tailoring your objective to suit the employer’s needs.
Winning objectives are always employer-focused and showcase only those skills which are demanded by the employer.
For example, if the employer demands a CPR trained, bilingual PSW with a driver’s license, you can state such an objective:
6. Bilingual and CPR Certified Personal Support Worker with current driver’s license, seeking work at AAA Support. Bringing superior skills in personal assistance, housekeeping, and cooking.