As a facilities manager, you will need to work extremely hard to make sure that a building assigned to you complies with all procedures and protocols.
Typically, you will be required to ensure that all services and amenities are in good working order.
Working in this role means that you have to be in constant contact with people from within your organization and external agents.
- Degree in business administration or a high school diploma with some relevant experience
- Ability to stay organized at all times
- Ability to coordinate the work of professionals across many platforms
- Good communication and customer service skills
- Excellent coordination skills
- Exceptional organizational abilities
- Analytic mind
Facilities Manager Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate the efforts of custodial and maintenance staff to ensure that assigned buildings are properly cleaned and maintained.
- Ensure that basic facilities such as water and heating are properly working, and provide oversight to the HVAC system.
- Check facilities on a regular basis to ensure that they meet government regulations and health and safety standards.
- Perform facilities inspections to determine the need for repair and maintenance, and to decipher any security hazards.
- Supervise the installation and maintenance of alarm and security systems and ensure that they are properly working at all times.
- Provide oversight to building and renovation projects, and ensure that any causes for concern are investigated and timely managed.
- Assist businesses in relocating to different premises by handling leasing issues and providing support with logistics.
- Plan and coordinate installations and refurbishment and ensure that equipment and supplies upkeep is properly managed.
- Review consumption of utility units and devise ways of reducing costs to ensure conformance to budgets.
- Control building security, parking space allocation, and proper waste disposal.
- Perform record-keeping duties pertinent to both financial and non-financial records and ensure that they are kept confidential and that their integrity is maintained.
- Manage preventative maintenance of facility equipment and oversee the parking program to ensure proper space allocation.