One often sees but refuses to acknowledge the work of a facilities manager, who works extremely hard to make sure that a building assigned to him or her works in tandem with all procedures and protocols. Typically, a facilities manager makes sure that all services and amenities that help a business operate properly are in good working order.
Eligibility criteria to work as a facilities manager includes a degree in business administration (a major in facilities management goes a long way to convince a hiring manager to consider you as a possible candidate), the ability to stay organized at all times, and the capability of coordinating the work of professionals across many platforms. Since working at this position means that you have to be in constant contact with people from within your organization and external agents, it is imperative to be good at communicating with people from different walks of life.
Excellent coordination skills, exceptional organizational abilities, and an analytic mind are prerequisites of working as a facilities manager. If you feel that you have the required academic and professional background to work at this position, the following list of duties will be of interest to you:
• Coordinate the efforts of custodial and maintenance staff to ensure that assigned buildings are properly cleaned and maintained
• Ascertain that basic facilities such as water and heating are properly working, and provide oversight to the HVAC system
• Check facilities in a regular basis to ensure that they meet government regulations and health and safety standards
• Perform facilities inspections to determine need for repair and maintenance, and to decipher any security hazards
• Supervise the installation and maintenance of alarm and security systems and ensure that they are properly working at all times
• Provide oversight to building and renovation projects, and ensure that any causes for concern are investigated and timely managed
• Assist business in relocating to different premises by handling leasing issues and providing support with logistics
• Plan and coordinate installations and refurbishment and ensure that equipment and supplies upkeep is properly managed
• Review consumption of utility units and devise ways of reducing costs to ensure conformance to budgets
• Control activities including building security, parking space allocation and proper waste disposal
• Perform record keeping duties pertinent to both financial and non-financial records and ensure that they are kept confidential and that their integrity is maintained
• Manage preventative maintenance of facility equipment and oversee the parking program to ensure proper space allocation