An LVN (Licensed Vocational Nurse) is a California and Texas alternate title of an LPN.
Licensed vocational nurses work at hospitals, medical centers, and healthcare clinics under the supervision of registered nurses. They are responsible for providing primary bedside care to patients in hospitals, sanatoriums, and assisted living facilities.
Daily patient care is the primary duty of an LVN. On a typical workday, they study patient care programs and assist patients in performing regular functions such as grooming, dressing, and bathing. She also takes patients’ vitals and maintains medical charts.
LVNs need to be certified before being hired. To be eligible for an LVN position, it is important to complete a practical nursing program.
Once they have completed training, it is important for LVNs to pass the National Council Licensure Examination of Practical Nurses.
They are required to be friendly and cheerful since they are in constant contact with patients who need to be put at ease quite often.
Also, they also need to be trustworthy as they handle a lot of confidential information, including medical records.
Whether you are a new graduate nursing professional or you possess extensive experience in the nursing field, it is essential that you build a professional resume to apply for the LVN job. Your resume should focus on your education, relevant experiences, and expertise.
See also: Cover Letter for LVN Resume
Sample Resume for Licensed Vocational Nurse Position
STACY NEIL, LVN
68999 West Ridge, Harbor City, CA 68887
Stacy.LVN @ email . com
❖❖ Licensed Vocational Nurse ❖❖
Patient-focused, competent healthcare professional with 7 years of acute care experience at hospitals, outpatient clinics, and nursing homes. Track record of establishing constructive and healthy relationships with patients and their families. Remarkably expert in providing accurate physical, mental, and preventive health care. Honestly initiated, performed, and completed assigned duties without supervision. Thorough understanding of the LVN scope of practice.
PRIMARY CLINICAL EXPERIENCE
Licensed Vocational Nurse – LVN
Memorial Healthcare System – Houston, TX
Sep 2021 – Present
• Prepare, administer, and appropriately document actions taken to commonly prescribed oral, topical, subcutaneous, intramuscular, or intravenous medications
• Appropriately carry outpatient care based on the patient’s conditions
• Keenly observe for physical or emotional changes in the patient’s condition and accurately document changes
• Methodically perform support duties for complex diagnostic tests or specialized practices such as preparing the patient, assisting in the diagnostic examination, preparing and handling specialized and monitoring the patient’s condition before, during, and following the procedure
Licensed Vocational Nurse – LVN
Benchmark Healthcare – Austin, TX
May 2019 – Sep 2021
• Explained procedures and treatments to residents to gain cooperation and understanding
• Accepted medications from Pharmacy and conducted med count reconciliation with delivery personnel
• Transcribed physician’s orders to resident charts, flow sheets, medication/treatment records, and care plans as required
• Conducted frequent rounds to check on residents
• Evaluated the effectiveness of care delivery
• Participated and attended scheduled in-services and staff meetings punctually
Certified Nursing Assistant – CNA
Great Lakes Home Health Services Inc. – Aransas Pass, TX
Jan 2014 – May 2019
• Checked in-patients, took vitals sign history, and nature of the complaint
• Answered phone calls regarding medical questions and supplied inventory
• Called in prescriptions to the pharmacy, initiated and followed up with lab and radiology
• Maintained accurate records for special tests and equipment
BSc (Hons) Degree in Nursing
North City University – Harbor City, CA
Associate of Science in Nursing
State College, School of Nursing – Columbus, TX
CERTIFICATIONS & SPECIALIZED TRAINING
• Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLA)
• Basic Life Support (BLS)
• Current Driver’s License
• Bilingual: English and Spanish
• Good command of computers
Job Duties for Licensed Vocational Nurse Resume
- Refer to patients’ histories to determine care plans.
- Maintain knowledge of each patient’s condition and study the care plan in detail.
- Take patients’ vitals such as pulse, temperature, and blood pressure, and ensure that they are properly logged into their charts.
- Assist clinical staff during physical examinations and log important information.
- Take patients’ medical histories and provide this information to doctors and nurse managers.
- Administer enemas and injections and insert catheters
- Change bandages assess wounds and record observations in patient logbooks
- Observe patients for signs of distress and attempt to help them become comfortable
- Monitor patients to gauge reactions to medication and inform the concerned nurse manager or doctor immediately
- Administer medication and update patients’ charts concerning allergies, immunizations, and use of medication
- Determine the type of lab tests patients need and fill lab slips.
- Educate and counsel patients and families about their conditions.
- Explain medical procedures to patients and respond to their questions.
- Provide patients and families with information on how to use medication once discharged.
- Assist in patient screening and triage activities.
- Help patients during procedures and treatments.
- Observe patients for signs of improvement and deterioration and report findings immediately.
- Assist in performing diagnostic tests.
- Communicate with doctors and nurse managers about patients’ diagnostic results.
- Document patients’ assessments and complete required forms.
- Ensure patients’ comfort throughout their stay at the hospital.
- Operate medical equipment such as ECG machines.
- Record food and fluid intake information.
- Ensure that patients receive sufficient nutrition according to their health plans.
- Provide instructions to the kitchen staff about patients’ nutritional needs
- Encourage patients to partake in their meals and record intake on a regular basis
- Keep track of medical equipment and report any malfunctions on an immediate basis
- Assist patients during exercises and physical therapy sessions
- Update care plans according to instructions provided and handle admission and discharge activities
- Collect samples for testing purposes and follow up on results
- Turn patients in their beds and treat bedsores
- Educate patients and families about the use of medicines and exercises and provide emotional support
- Ensure that patient areas are kept clean at all times
Licensed Vocational Nurse Skills for Resume
- Admitting and discharging patients
- PICC Line care
- Care plan assessment
- Acute and rehabilitative care
- Glucose checks
- Blood pressure monitoring
- Wound care
- PEG tube
- GI feeding and tubes
- Tracheostomy suction
- Stages I-IV pressure sore care
- Meditech documentation
- Patient/family education
- Trustworthy and respectful
- Relationships building
- Attention to detail
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Time management
- Customer service
- Interpersonal skills
LVN Position Requirements
- Current LPN or LVN license by the State Board of Nursing
- Some experience in the healthcare setting
- Physically capable to initiate crisis intervention measures
- Demonstrated ability to provide a full range of practical nursing care to patients.
- Empathy while providing exceptional nursing care
- Able to work collaboratively with patients, residents, physicians, and other team members
- Ability to lead and motivate staff members
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills