Civil engineers plan and design construction projects. Depending on what type of projects interest them or which ones they are offered, civil engineers may work on huge commercial buildings or handle designing and building of houses. Civil engineering is a broad term used for construction projects such as structural, transportation and even geotechnical so you may be working on any of them depending on your individual work assignment.
The foremost work of a civil engineer is to confer with clients about their requirements. Once this is done, it is the job of a civil engineer to determine how to go about meeting the client’s needs. He may make a feasibility report to gauge how well a project can run. He will also need to create blueprints once projects specifications are decided upon.
To become a civil engineer, you need to possess a bachelor’s degree at the very least. You should also be skilled at making complex calculations and possess good knowledge of using computer aided (CAD) programs since a huge part of your work will be on the computer. You will need to be skilled at explaining plans and designs to your clients and possess exceptional project management skills.
Related: Civil Engineer Cover Letter Sample
Civil Engineer Job Description for Resume
• Discuss requirements clients and provide feedback on how you believe a project should be initiated
• Confer with architects to determine feasibility of a construction project
• Draw up blueprints for each project using specific engineering data
• Judge the workability of each project by assessing cost, material availability and time crunches
• Prepare tender bids and report to clients and other authorities involved
• Ensure appropriate procurements of work force and materials by liaising with procurement officers
• Prepare and present project information to workers in a bid to help them understand project metrics
• Respond to questions put forth by clients and workers
• Ensure that each construction project begins on time
• Provide direction to workers during each phase of the construction project
• Make sure that all team members understand the importance of following safe practices and are following them diligently
• Ensure that project sites meet legal guidelines
• Assist in resolving design and implementation issues
• Manage project budgets and ensure that resources are being used properly
• Assess the sustainability of each construction projects and its environmental impact
• Provide guidance to labor force to ensure that projects are completed on time
Last updated on