Applications Engineer Job Description
Applications engineers are hired by companies that provide technical support to users, for their products.
These individuals are at the frontend, providing assistance and help to customers and users so that they can use products properly.
This is a highly technical post, which means that people working on it need to be highly technician too.
Assisting customers with troubleshooting designs both in-person and remotely is a big part of this work. Moreover, people working at this position are required to possess exceptional skills in handling technical setups for trade shows and events.
In more senior positions within the same discipline, system applications engineers are required to create layouts and system design guidelines, such as stack-ups, and impedance requirements.
Working as a systems application engineer is not everyone’s cup of tea, which is why only the very analytic and hardworking individuals are hired at this position.
Here is a list of job duties that are particular to this position:
Applications Engineer Duties & Responsibilities
• Provide front line phone support for integrators, consultants, and end-users.
• Assist customers in troubleshooting designs, remotely, and in person.
• Provide system design support and review integrators, consultants, and representatives.
• Perform system analysis and product definition, and advise marketing and design leads on product requirements.
• Provide technical support to design teams, and field application teams, through methods such as data collection and optimizing settings.
• Handle timing analysis and debugging, for a wide variety of interfaces.
• Comprehend system jitter issues, signal integrity problems, and simulations, using a wide variety of tools.
• Assist end-users in determining their issues, and provide them with information on how to handle software and hardware problems.
• Assist users in handling the integration of products into servers and custom designs.
• Create product documentation for use by customers, implementing software and system products.
• Design demonstrations, and reference platforms, identifying key problem areas, and focus on resolving issues.
• Establish peer to peer relationships with engineers, and advocate customers internally and externally.
• Analyze and troubleshoot technological problems in installed application systems, and check their technical resolutions.
Applications Engineer Job Description: Position Requirements
Usually, a bachelor’s or master’s degree in a computer science discipline is important to possess if this is the work that you want to do.
The work of an application engineer involves frontend phone support, systems design, and software and hardware troubleshooting. Since the work is complicated, this position requires broad and comprehensive experience, skills, and knowledge of the company’s products, policies, and practices.