As the designation suggests, train drivers drive both cargo and passenger trains from a point of origin to a destination.
Train drivers are required to follow a specified schedule and may have to make several stopovers before they drive the assigned train to its destination.
They are usually provided with a schedule which they have to follow; some train drivers are also provided with information on the best possible routes.
There is no bigger qualification than patience and inborn love for driving a train engine for long periods of time.
With just a high school diploma or a GED, it is easy to obtain a job as a train driver provided you qualify for the driving and maintenance tests.
For people who are interested in acquiring work as train drivers, the following resume example may hold some interest.
Sample Resume for Train Driver Position
66 Tracewood Road, Jackson, TN 66111
Extroverted, competent train driver with eleven years of extensive experience working on railroads around the country. An inherent passion for operating both freight and passenger trains. Ability to chart out appropriate routes. Hands-on training in handling mechanical and electric problems with train engines, and performing troubleshooting activities.
SYNOPSIS OF ACCOMPLISHMENTS
• Handled a particularly daunting troubleshooting problem with a steam engine of a train being deported to another county by employing knowledge of steam engines, thereby avoiding a possible accident
• Prevented a probable accident of passenger train traveling in the opposite direction by informing the control room of a railroad hazard
• Trained railroad staff for five consecutive years for deployment in three states
• Streamlined control room efforts by introducing the concept of “Accurate Communications” with the aid of novel communication devices
Volks Railways, Jackson, TN
June 2006 – Present
• Drive both passenger and cargo trains to destinations
• Ensure that each stopover is managed in a time-efficient manner
• Check train engine and equipment to ensure en route safety
• Ensure the safety of both passengers and cargo on board
• Follow appropriate signal instructions and keep in constant touch with the control room
• Take instructions from the control room regarding route selection and notification of hazards
• Make passenger announcements and control automatic doors
• Ensure that staff follows safety instructions in accordance to the company’s protocols
• Maintain logbooks of any delays or problems along the route
Kiewit Railway Company, Jackson, TN
Jan 2002 – May 2006
• Assisted the train driver in maneuvering train engines along specified routes
• Ensured proper fuelling of the engine and assisted in handling maintenance tasks
• Made sure that any problems are reported to the engineer or the driver in a timely manner
• Made stopover announcements and provided passenger instructions over the announcement system
• Provided train driver with schedule information
Diploma: Jackson High School, Jackson, TN – 2001