Simply put, a sand truck driver drives a truck used to haul sand from one place to another. His or her work is not much different from someone who drives another type of vehicle. However, there are a few things that may be a little dissimilar to a standard truck driver’s duties. Working as a sand truck driver means that you have a lot of responsibility on your shoulders, as you will have to make sure that your deliveries are done on time.
Sand Truck Driver Qualifications
A high school diploma or a GED equivalent is considered a good education base when you want to work in this capacity, although most employers will concentrate more on your driving record. The main job of an individual working as a sand truck driver is to ensure that sand hauls are transported to destinations. However, this is not the only thing that a person does in this role. Loading and unloading sand to and from assigned trucks, and ensuring that it is covered properly so that it does not blow away with the wind is important. Knowledge of appropriate mapping routes, and ensuring that timely deliveries are made is also required. Working as a sand truck driver is not fun and games, although it is an exciting opportunity for people hoping to make a career in the trucking business.
Some of the main duties of an individual working in a sand truck driver capacity include:
Sand Truck Driver Job Description
• Inspect assigned trucks to determine that they are in good working order, and make them haul-ready.
• Perform both regular and preventative maintenance on assigned trucks to ensure that they remain in good working order.
• Ensure that fluid levels such as engine oil and brake fluid are at optimum levels and refill them when required.
• Obtain orders regarding hauling sand from one place to another, and perform associated preparation duties.
• Assist loaders in loading sand into the truck, or use the truck’s loading function to perform the deed.
• Map appropriate routes to destinations using standard maps and the GPS, and ensure that vehicles are driven on the outlined routes.
• Ensure that any issues such as accidents or breakdowns are correctly handled, keeping in mind the safety of people around.
• Deliver the sand hauls to the provided destinations, and ensure that receivers’ signatures are obtained on receipts.
• Maintain contact with dispatch personnel to ensure that information on deliveries, and incidents are provided/reported to them.