A catering cook is a regular cook – with a difference. He or she is required to work in an environment where there is a need for mass food production.
As a catering cook, you will be performing a lot of work activities such as conferring with clients to determine requirements for their events, providing suggestions such as popular cuisines and food items, and ensuring that the details of assigned events are handled properly, as they relate to food management.
To be considered eligible to work as a catering cook, you have to possess a degree in a culinary discipline, although some employers may hire you even if you do not have formal education but have sufficient experience. You have to possess great knowledge of culinary principles, and world cuisines, especially if you want to work for an organization that caters to a diverse clientele.
In addition to this, you will need to be exceptionally well-versed in handling kitchen staff and managing the kitchen as a whole. Knowledge of food rotation procedures and inventory management are all part of the game, so you will need to know much about these areas. Working as a catering cook is demanding in the sense that you have to keep an eye out for the quality of the food items that you offer.
A catering cook resume is a snapshot of your skills and abilities in written form. Everything that you have done in your professional life can be placed in a resume if it gels in well with the Catering Cook position.
The following resume sample will guide you on how to organize information in your resume:
Catering Cook Resume Example
452 Creek Road, Mokena, IL 60215
hnelson @ email . com
“I can prepare and cook a wide variety of international and local cuisines while placing a special focus on quality.”
Committed and resourceful Catering Cook with 11+ years of experience preparing and cooking world cuisine food items, including Japanese, Chinese, Italian, Indian, and Moroccan. Highly skilled working in busy catering settings with a special focus on ensuring the high quality of cooked food items. Known for handling the details of multiple catered events at the same time, ensuring that all are managed on priority. Bachelor’s Degree in Culinary Arts.
• Simultaneously provided catering services for 3 different events, all requiring a different type of cuisine.
• Put in place a novel food quality assurance system, which was considered foolproof at all levels.
• Introduced the concept of VIP catering for regular patrons, bringing in additional business opportunities.
• Trained 13 newly hired cooks in handling both restaurant cooking operations and catering functions.
Hospitality Works, Mokena, IL
6/2015 – Present
• Confer with clients to determine their specific catering requirements and provide them with suggestions
• Assist clients in making sound menu choices for their events, based on specifically chosen cuisines
• Create menus and recipes according to provided instructions, and ensure that they are followed appropriately
• Perform food preparation and cooking activities in sync with other kitchen staff members
• Provide food preparers with instructions on handling cutting, chopping, cubing, and marinating meats
• Ensure that sufficient food quantity is prepared for each catered event so that food items are enough for the entirety of the event
• Provide frontend staff with information and instructions on setting up and breaking down catered events
• Clean and sanitize kitchen appliances and work areas
The Grand Hotel, Mokena, IL
2/2009 – 5/2015
• Assisted the management in creating recipes according to specified instructions
• Instructed food preparers to cut, chop, mince, and cube meats and cheeses
• Cooked food items according to set recipes, ensuring maintenance of quality
• Handled portioning activities, and ensured that food garnishing was handled in an aesthetic manner
• Performed both preventative and regular maintenance on kitchen appliances such as ovens, grills, fridges, and cooking ranges
Bachelor’s Degree in Culinary Arts
Mokena Culinary Institute, Mokena, IL – 2009
CORE SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
✓ Special Events Catering ✓ Food Preparation & Hygiene
✓ Menu Development ✓ Food Storage & Rotation
✓ Food Quality Assurance ✓ Portioning
✓ Workstations Setup ✓ Appliances Management
✓ Culinary Training ✓ VIP Catering
✓ Sanitization ✓ Organization
✓ Customer Service
“I am exceptionally well-versed in developing menus and recipes for a wide variety of events requiring catering services. ”
Job Description for Catering Cook Resume
- Engage clients in conversation to effectively gauge their catering requirements
- Confer with clients to determine the type and size of event for which catering is required
- Provide clients with suggestions on popular cuisines that may gel in well with their event types
- Create and provide cost estimates to clients based on their food quantity and type of decisions
- Ensure that all ingredients and supplies are made available at the beginning of each shift
- Prepare food items such as meats, fruits, vegetables, and cheeses according to set recipes
- Cook dishes according to the specific instructions of clients, ensuring that quantity levels are maintained
- Ensure that high-quality food items are served at clients’ events, and make sure that all dishes are kept filled at all times
- Provide instructions to catering staff on how to set up and break down catered events, as they pertain to food service
- Handle food rotation and inventory management activities on a regular basis
- Communicate low food items or supplies situations to the procurement or kitchen manager
- Ensure that the kitchen area is kept clean and sanitized and that appliances are maintained on a regular basis
Sample Skills for Catering Cook Resume
- Menus and recipes development
- Food preparation and cooking
- Staff supervision
- Workstations set up
- Dishes, cutlery, and flatware handling
- Kitchen staff training
- Food hygiene and sanitation
- Food rotation
- Inventory handling
- Cleanliness and maintenance
- Attention to detail
- Customer service