Journeyman Carpenter Job Description
The work of a journeyman carpenter isn’t much less than that of a carpenter, however, the more complex tasks are often left to the lead carpenter.
Working directly on carpentry projects is not all that journeymen carpenters do. On a typical day, they are also responsible for tools care and maintenance along with making sure that tools and supplies inventory is properly maintained.
Hand-eye coordination, physical stamina, and the ability to lift and move heavy objects are of the utmost importance in this job.
To work at a journeyman carpenter position, one has to possess a high school diploma or a GED as reading and understanding work orders is an absolute must.
Additionally, a job seeker needs to know the tools that are required to work at this position, which includes chisels, framing squares, caulking guns, finish hammers, block planes, and handsaws, along with project-related power tools.
In many instances, journeymen carpenters are hired to provide guidance to apprentices, as they have been through the rigmarole of training themselves.
Journeyman Carpenter Duties and Responsibilities
• Read and comprehend work orders to determine stages and types of carpentry projects assigned
• Go through blueprints and drawings to determine project layouts and dimensions
• Install structures and fixtures according to specific instructions provided and ensure that all frameworks are properly installed
• Measure, cut, and shape wood, plastic, and fiberglass according to provided instructions and construct frameworks such as wall studs and doorframes
• Repair and maintain structures made out of wood including windows, frames, and floorings
• Inspect buildings and wooden structures to determine the need for additions and repair and communicate information to the lead carpenter
• Repair weather stripping and handle building interior and exterior maintenance work
• Put up siding and drywall and ensure that scaffolding is properly erected and safely in place
• Use a variety of hand and power tools to cut and shape wood and fiberglass and properly placing them in desired areas
• Build countertops and handle cabinet and furniture fabrication duties, along with installing metal doors and setting jambs
• Perform interior renovations by performing repair and maintenance work on furniture and wooden framework