Skills are the driving force behind our work. Lack thereof can make things quite difficult at the workplace. As you mention your experiences and qualifications in resume, do not leave the skills out. By doing so, you are not helping yourself. Skilled employees are almost always picked up first to do a job. While you may get lucky and obtain a medical billing and coding job based solely on your experience, you will not be a hot favorite once it has been made known that you do not possess the skills to do a job.
Why are skills so important? Look at this situation. You may be able to replicate work experience simply because you have done it before, but what happens when you are presented with a situation that you have not been through before? Your skills should kick in. Without them, you will come across as someone who can only do things that you are experienced in and are scared to venture into new things.
For details on how skills should be listed on a resume, take a look at the following skills list for medical billing and coding resume:
• Track record of managing medical payment collection activities by indulging in extensive medical billing activities
• Demonstrated expertise in acting as a liaison between medical facilities and insurance carriers including HMOs, PPOs, Medi-cal and Medicare
• First-hand experience in using coded data to produce and submit claims to insurance companies to ensure prompt payments
• Competent at reviewing and appealing unpaid and denied claims
• Documented success in effectively and efficiently translating medical procedures into codes which can be easily translated by payers and medical facilities
• Familiar with transmitting coded patient treatment information to intended recipients
• Proven record of coding treatment information using designated CPT codes and effectively reviewing medical records for accuracy and integrity
• Unmatched ability to create reimbursement claims and coordinate reimbursement activities with payers
• Qualified to process patient data such as treatment records and insurance information to verify data accuracy and integrity
• Proven ability to liaise with insurance companies to facilitate payments of outstanding claims
• Particularly effective in verifying coding and billing information to ensure that outstanding payments are paid on time