The job of a police officer requires various skills such as handling emergency situations, monitoring detained and suspected criminals, and responding timely to help calls.
These tasks require extraordinary physical fitness, self-defense training, conflict resolution skills, and cultural awareness.
Knowing a second language such as Spanish is also a plus. Many skills need to be developed before a candidate applies for a police officer job.
The following are some sample skills of a police officer which are categorized broadly and are presented below in the form of labeled sections for the reader’s convenience.
Recommended: Police Officer Cover Letter Sample
These statements will be beneficial for job seekers to build an impressive resume.
Sample Skills for Police Officer Resume
• Proficient in criminal investigation and victim interviewing
• Trained in self-defense and usage of police weapons
• Exceptional talent for evidence gathering and making arrests
• Competent in case filing for court hearings and well-practiced in court testifying
• Demonstrated ability to gather and record relevant data and information regarding the individual with a complaint
• Skilled in forwarding emergency requests to relevant area officers and responding to emergency telephone calls
Public Dealing Skills
• Adept at talking to the general public politely and respectfully
• Proven ability to demonstrate assertiveness and integrity
• Known for maintaining discipline while dealing with mobs
• Track record of handling culturally diverse populations in trouble with compassion and understanding
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Competent at coordinating with patrol officers using a wireless device
• Able to write reports and fill inventories while going off duty on a daily basis
• Exceptional presentation skills and experiences in spreading awareness regarding criminal activities and safety practices among the general public
• Proven ability to categorize incoming information and creating an instant mental picture
• Skilled in preparing case history for criminal cases
• Exceptional observational skills
• Committed to paying attention to minute details that might come in handy during criminal case proceedings at a later stage
• Insightful thinking leading to valuable crime preventive measures
• Exceptional sense of hearing and a sharp vision
• Ability to run fast and remain standing for up to five or six hours