Perhaps the most underrated section in a surgical coordinator’s resume is the one that is for skills.
While many people tend to pay close attention to this area, many also fail to make it a strong point in their resumes. Focusing on experience and education alone will not get you the job. All employers need to know how a candidate became as good at what he does as he claims. Hint, hint! Enter skills.
To put it simply, if you do not have the skills to do a certain job, you cannot do the job. There are no two ways about it. And if you do not let the employer know that you have a certain set of skills, how will he know that you are a good option to hire? Simple enough, isn’t it? It is.
The fact of the matter is that no resume is deemed complete without the skills section. How you advertise yourself as someone who can go well beyond the call of duty to perform, is what matters most.
It is unfortunate that many capable candidates do not realize that the skills section on their surgical coordinator resume actually adds to their worth. Once you are aware of your own worth, it is important to put it down on paper – in a resume. And here is how you can do this:
Sample Skills Statements for Surgical Coordinator Resume
- Hands-on experience in handling all aspects of pre-surgical activities, including ensuring that patient forms are correctly filled out and that any administrative clearance is obtained in a timely manner.
- Well-versed in verifying patient insurance coverage for surgical procedures and determining if referrals or authorizations for surgeries are required.
- Special talent for preparing pre-op patient packets and providing education on surgical procedures and post-operative expectations.
- Ability to schedule surgical appointments by juggling dates, surgeon calendars, and priorities to ensure that all patients are provided with the care that they deserve.
- Able to effectively advise and counsel patients regarding food and fluid intake and restrictions prior to surgeries.
- Well-versed in scheduling all surgical cases for assigned attending staff.
- Competent in maintaining a database to ensure that all pre-surgical forms and medical clearance documents are complete and accurate.
- Adept at seeking approvals surrounding physician schedules to utilize and accommodate additional time or approved changes in schedules and appointments.
- Track record of scheduling post-operative visits by actively following up on patients and providing them with necessary reminders.
- Competent in ensuring that all pre-operative testing is scheduled and carried out and that test reports are obtained prior to the scheduling of surgical procedures.