House cleaners work in residential settings where they are expected to keep houses clean and well-organized. While most house cleaners find work through agencies, some may find work directly.
Their main work includes dusting, cleaning, doing laundry, mopping, making beds and taking out the garbage.
They are also expected to wash dishes, clean bathrooms and kitchens and wash windows and mirrors.
On a broader scale, house cleaners clean hallways, stairways and other areas depending on their work setting.
Sweeping, scrubbing and waxing floors is all in a day’s work for them and removing debris and changing beds is also a major part of their jobs.
Depending on different work settings, house cleaners perform a multitude of duties that are targeted at keeping a house well kept. Following are some of these duties that you may use to advertise a job or prepare a resume.
House Cleaner Duties & Responsibilities
• Wash bathrooms, mop floors, and clean fixtures
• Sanitize kitchen floors and counters
• Vacuum and wash carpets, and polish and wax floors
• Clean rooms, halls, lounges, and corridors
• Empty and wash wastepaper baskets and ashtrays
• Replenish bathroom supplies and disinfect bathroom floors
• Wash dishes and place them in the dryer
• Arrange dishes in cupboards
• Dust and polish furniture and equipment
• Sort clothes for washing and place them in the washing machine
• Organized washed and ironed clothes in wardrobes
• Wash and organize the linen
• Polish silver accessories and metalwork
• Make grocery lists purchase household items as required
• Ensure all grocery items are stored appropriately
• Hang draperies and dust and wash windows
• Request repair services for broken fixtures and furniture
• Replace light bulbs
• Plan menus and cook meals as per employers’ instructions
• Move furniture as requested and turn mattresses
• Wash and stock towels
• Change bed sheets using fresh linen
• Polish wood surfaces such as bed heads and tables
• Scrub stains and mold from surfaces
• Dispose-off expired food items
• Wipe down appliances and restock house with supplies
• Sweep driveways and ensure they are free of snow
• Put and refresh flower baskets and vases
• Clean upholstered furniture by wiping it down
• Disinfect equipment using a variety of chemicals
• Mix cleaning chemicals using safe practices
• Provide care to the elderly and children when requested
• Arrange decorations for social gatherings
• Record expenditures by performing light bookkeeping activities