Refer to the following interview questions (and possible answers) for the position of a medical billing specialist position:
Medical Billing Specialist Interview Questions and Answers
1. What are your job-specific skills as a medical billing specialist?
Apart from possessing basic knowledge of medical terminology and reporting systems, I am well-versed with HIPPA guidelines and have the capability to maintain the confidentiality of information concerning patients. In addition to this, I have a solid insight into ICD and CPT coding standards and linkages.
2. What are the three main duties that a medical billing specialist is expected to perform?
A medical billing specialist is required to handle a large variety of duties. The three main ones include:
- Preparing and submitting clear claims to insurance companies on the panel, both through paper and in an electronic form.
- Identifying problematic accounts which may show debts or delinquencies, and ensuring that payments are made on time.
- Evaluating patients’ financial statuses and creating budget payment plans to ensure that billing closings can be made as per schedule.
3. What were you doing professionally before you decided to take up the work of a billing specialist?
I have worked my way up to the position of medical billing specialist. Before I was promoted to this position, I worked as a medical billing and coding clerk for 5 years.
4. Tell us of one of your biggest accomplishments.
Recently, I was responsible for identifying a lapse in data confidentiality within the system, which I promptly fixed before any information could be leaked out. The timeline within which I did this is perhaps my biggest achievement.
5. What do you do to ensure data integrity?
I have trained my team to ensure that all billing and patient information that is punched in to the system is checked several times before it is considered complete and accurate. During updates, I make sure that all information is rechecked once more, which takes care of any data integrity issues.
6. How do you deal with information discrepancies?
Discrepancies, where billing is concerned, are completely unacceptable. In my present place of employment, I have made sure that inconsistencies are immediately communicated to me so that I can rectify them. In addition to this, I have put in place a system that sounds an alarm at the mere hint of a discrepancy or inconsistency.