Administration is a wide term that is used to describe all the activities that are needed to be performed within an office to run it smoothly. An administrative assistant position requires an individual to be a jack-of-all-trades because there are many facets that this umbrella covers. While a lot of other designations provide administrative services within an organization, administrative assistants are specialized people to perform these specific tasks. Ideally, an administrative assistant provides support to an office by utilizing his/her skills and capabilities for a smooth flow of operations.
The skills required to be a successful administrative assistant resume are many and diverse. Proficiency in office administration and bookkeeping activities is an absolute must along with pertinent knowledge of computer systems. In addition, an administrative assistant needs to possess the ability to maintain accuracy and secrecy of all records under their management. Since this position depends largely on creating and maintaining effective liaison with all other departments within an organization, excellent interpersonal and team building skills are also required. As there are some report generation and writing activities involved, an administrative assistant needs to possess well honed typing and research skills.
Following is a list of other important skill phrases and statements that an administrative assistant needs to demonstrate in the skills, qualifications or strengths section of their resume.
• Highly skilled in performing general office tasks including bookkeeping, filing, taking minutes and managing records
• Able to handle incoming calls and route them to the appropriate person or department
• Competent at using fax machines, video-conferencing, projectors and other automated equipment
• Well-versed in organizing calendar, making travel arrangements and scheduling appointments
• In-depth knowledge of keyboarding and computers; calendaring and scheduling programs including Lotus Notes and Microsoft Office Suite
• Bilingual: Effective verbal and written communication skills in English and Spanish
• Track record of managing front desk activities within a busy environment
• Demonstrated ability to work efficiently in a fast paced environment during stressful hours
• Proven ability to analyze, evaluate and recommend administrative functions and services to promote success
• Exceptional time management and problem-solving skills
• Works accurately and independently with close attention to detail
• Recognized for maintaining confidentiality of sensitive information
• A friendly individual who tactfully and diplomatically handles irate client
This is a broad list of skills that are required for administrative assistant position. Please remember that skills of administrative assistant might vary from one workplace to another, so you need to tailor your resume skills section as per employer’s needs.