Receptionist Job Overview
Receptionists work in a variety of settings including; hospitals, schools, hotels, motels, resorts, private businesses and government organizations. A receptionist usually give the foremost impression of any organization. His/her major responsibilities include greeting visitors or clients, answering phone and maintaining a professional office image.
Purpose of a Receptionist Cover Letter
A cover letter for receptionist position is a brief introduction to your resume and your interest in working with future employer. In your covering letter, you should emphasize why you want to work for that particular company and what can you bring in terms of skills, experience and expertise. A successful letter holds the reader’s interest and persuades him or her to look at the enclosed resume and invite you for an interview. In fact, your cover letter is a foremost symbol of your attention to detail which is a prerequisite for a receptionist position.
Receptionist Cover Letter Quick Tips
➜ Include your contact details at the top of letter: name, address, email, and cell number
➜ Address your letter to the hiring manager mentioning his/her name
➜ Make a one page’s clear and concise document with ample margins
➜ Use a plain font with font size 10-12
➜ Proofread thrice for spelling or grammatical mistakes
Receptionist Cover Letter Format and Content
• State why you are writing, and interest in receptionist position and prospective organization
• Demonstrate your three to four skills relevant to receptionist position
• Show you have done extensive research on the values of prospective organization; tell why you want to work for that company
Second / Third Paragraph(s):
• Actively sell your clerical, front desk and reception qualities and tell the reader why he or she should choose you
• Entry level candidates and career changers emphasize on their transferable skills and core competencies using bullet statements
• Use authoritative action verbs and sentences to describe your skills, abilities and expertise
• Emphasize on your abilities and experience of working in a dynamic environment with a real passion to provide excellent customer service
• Draw attention to key information of your resume – do not duplicate your resume
• Adapt your skills, interests and experience to the exact requirements of the organization
• Encourage the reader to take a closer look at your resume
• Reinstate your interest in the receptionist position and the organization
• Proactively tell employer to invite you in an interview to discuss receptionist job in detail
• Give your contact details and information about follow-up method
• Thanks the employer for his/her consideration
Related: Receptionist Resume
Receptionist Cover Letter Sample
92 Example Street
San Diego, CA 65117
Cellular: (100) 001-0001
August 8, 2013
Mr. John Smith
325 Some South Street
San Diego, CA 65217
Dear Mr. Smith:
If you seek a new Receptionist who can do more than just handling the front desk, then we have a solid reason to meet. With my track record of providing exemplary customer service and demonstrated ability to perform secretarial tasks, I would be able to exceed your expectations and become a key member of Apria Healthcare.
Per your requirements stated in your job description, you are looking for a professional with exceptional customer service, telephone handling and computer expertise. I am very skilled in performing all kinds of reception tasks such as; greeting visitors, providing them with relevant information and relaying and resolving telephone and walk-in inquiries. Moreover, I am well versed in performing accurate data entry, scheduling calendar and meetings, making journey arrangements for executives, managing forms and maintaining office records. My exceptional skills in MS Office applications and PABX management will be a great asset to Apria Healthcare. Besides reception work, I am also able to carry out general housekeeping duties. The enclosed resume contains comprehensive details about my qualifications and skills fit to this position.
I’m excited about putting my capabilities for the growth of Apria Healthcare and would welcome the chance to meet with you to discuss this in detail. I will contact your office by phone next week to inquire about whether you need additional information regarding my credentials. In the interim, I can be reached on my cell at (100) 001-0001.
Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to meeting you in the near future.