A patient registrar is an individual who handles admissions and patient registration procedures at hospitals, clinics, and other medical facilities. The main work of people working at this position is to make sure that all patients are properly registered with the facility, and that their information is kept updated.
Working as a patient registrar will require you to possess a high school diploma or a GED equivalent at the very least. Some exposure to frontline work in a medical facility will go a long way in helping you obtain this position.
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are an absolute must if this is the career line that you want to pick up, as you will be in constant touch with people from different backgrounds. Also, it is imperative for people working as patient registrars to be knowledgeable about medical terms, processes, and procedures, as they often come across them on any typical workday.
As a patient registrar, you will be constantly on the go, often doing multiple tasks at the same time. This is why it is important for you to be able to multitask efficiently. Since you will be communicating with external agencies such as insurance companies on a regular basis, it is important that you are pleasant and patient. A list of job duties specific to the role of a patient registrar is given below:
As far as hiring managers are concerned, one Patient Registrar’s resume is usually very much like another – unless the applicant has bothered to make it different. If you want your resume to be a cut above the rest. Take a look at the following great example before you write one:
Sample Resume for Patient Registrar Position
gary.holden @email . com
Results-driven patient registration with 7 years of experience in gathering, sorting, and organizing patient demographics, for a busy medical facility. Skilled in communicating with medical staff in a bid to aid patient care and processing. Effectively verifies and enters patient information, including insurance, eligibility, and demographics. Familiar with collecting and posting co-payments, and other out-of-pocket expenses from patients. Adept at performing admitting duties, including explaining various forms, such as patient rights and medical releases.
✓ Admission Handling ✓ Demographics Obtainment
✓ Patient Scheduling ✓ Patient Direction
✓ Insurance Liaison ✓ Payment Processing
✓ Inquiry Handling ✓ Schedules Maintenance
✓ Information Verification ✓ Rooms Assignment
✓ Data Entry ✓ Nursing Staff Contact
Mercy Health, Leslie, GA
5/2019 – Present
• Greet patients and their families as they arrive at the facility, and inquire into their purpose of visit.
• Provide information regarding available services at the facility.
• Take and record patient information into predefined facility systems.
• Verify patient information such as age, name, and medical history before entering them into the system.
• Obtain and verify insurance coverage information, and provide patients with information on any co-pays that may need to be managed.
• Disperse admission information to various departments, ensuring that they are kept in the loop.
• Suggest physicians or surgeons that may be able to do justice to patients’ requirements.
• Ensure that all records and files are confidentially and accurately updated and maintained.
• Introduced a novel patient registration system, which was 85% more efficient than the one already in place.
• Devised a patient verification system, leading to decreased time in verifying patients’ eligibility.
• Successfully had over 500 claims paid within a week’s time, through effective liaison with insurance companies on the panel.
• Created a patient registration form, replacing the old one that had redundant fields in it.
Front Desk Officer
The Medical Facility, Leslie, GA
11/2013 – 5/2019
• Greeted patients at the front desk, and provided them with information on the facility’s services.
• Directed patients and families to the right departments or personnel.
• Responded to inquiries over the telephone and in person, ensuring that facility protocol was kept in mind.
• Assisted patient registration staff in creating and maintaining patients’ records.
• Ensured the confidentiality and integrity of all records and files pertaining to patients and procedures.
High School Diploma
Leslie High School, Leslie, GA – 2011
Patient Registrar Duties and Responsibilities
- Greet patients and their families as they arrive at the facility, and inquire into their purpose of visit.
- Provide patients and family members with information on offered services and ways to avail them.
- Engage patients in conversation to derive information such as demographics, and ensure that they are properly keyed into predefined systems.
- Ensure that all punched-in information is accurate and in accordance with the facility’s protocols and procedures.
- Obtain insurance coverage information, and ensure that it is properly verified by calling insurance company representatives.
- Provide patients with information on what their insurance covers, and calculate and communicate co-pays and out-of-pocket payments.
- Punch in patient information into predefined systems, ensuring that all information is correct and updated.
- Generate patient identification papers, along with tags or bracelets, depending on specific situations and instructions.
- Document information or directives, into each patient’s charts.
- Direct patients and their families to the right departments, or escort them.
- Obtain signatures of consent for treatment, release information to third-party payers, and process patient status changes.