Programming, setting up and operating a computer numerical control (CNC) machine to produce parts is the responsibility of a CNC operator.
S/he confers with programmers to implement particular plans so that a large variety of parts can be manufactured to meet the demands of work orders provided him.
As part of their job, CNC operators oversee machines to make sure that proper shapes are cut from metal and plastic.
They are required to be able to read blueprints effectively and follow instructions correctly so that specified shapes can be made.
It is one of the prime duties of a CNC operator to follow the production line from beginning to the end to assure both quality and quantity. They are also responsible for ensuring that all tools and equipment are correctly used and maintained in a befitting manner.
As professionals in using CNC machines, CNC operators make sure that any malfunctions during the process are handled carefully.
See also: CNC Operator Cover Letter
A list of duties of a CNC operator is given below. Use these statements to build a great resume.
Sample Job Description for CNC Operator Resume
• Read and interpret blueprints to comprehend work orders
• Plan machining activities keeping in mind the work orders and engineering plans
• Refer to specifications, orthographic drawings, and reference planes to understand the project effectively
• Work with geometric dimensions and tolerances to plan machining activities
• Check stocks inventory to ensure appropriate stock is available to start a machining project
• Anticipate needed stock and order low supplies
• Enter instructions and program mills and lathes including reference points to ensure the smooth running of the machine
• Safely load and unload castings and raw materials into the machinery
• Meet tolerance environments of the machine by setting gauges and measuring instruments appropriately
• Perform preventative and regular maintenance on machines, equipment, and tools used in all processes
• Follow the machining process from the very beginning to the end to ensure the quality of parts
• Isolate any piece that may not conform to the standards of the work order
• Troubleshoot machining problems during processes to ensure the efficacy of the procedure
• Ensure that all CNC machines are adequately lubricated before each processes initiation
• Create appropriate labor and time reports by following instructions provided by superiors
• Shape, sharpen and adjust machining tools so that required print tolerance can be achieved
• Provide tooling and fixturing improvement solutions as needed during each machining procedure
• Complete all reports and other paperwork associated with machining projects in process