You may have worked as a custodian before, but if you want to apply for a school custodian position, you need to add a little extra to your resume.
A school custodian performs many of the same duties as a regular custodian, but there is a bit more responsibility attached to this role.
Since the safety of students is of the utmost importance in a school, school custodians need to make sure that their work does not put students at risk.
School Custodian Job Description
School custodians perform cleaning, mopping, vacuuming, dusting, and minor maintenance activities.
With any duty that they perform, they need to take into account the safety of children. So if a school custodian has mopped the school hall, he should be conscientious enough to place a “wet floor” sign.
Schools usually hire people who have a high school diploma as custodians. They usually report to administrative officers from whom they take their work orders on a daily basis.
The purpose of a school custodian’s work is to ensure a clean, hygienic, and safe environment for students and staff.
They not only clean classrooms and hallways but also are responsible for vacuuming carpets in waiting areas and school offices.
Related: School Custodian Cover Letter Sample
A list of duties particular to a school custodian’s job is given below:
Sample Job Description for School Custodian Resume
- Clean school hallways, corridors, and classrooms by dusting sweeping, and mopping floors
- Wash down bathrooms using a variety of cleaning liquids such as detergents and bleach
- Mix cleaning materials by following safe practices and dispose of any unused mixture in a safe manner
- Vacuum and shampoo carpets in school offices and reception areas
- Dust and polish all furniture in classrooms, offices, and waiting areas
- Clean mirrors in bathrooms
- Ensure that floors and counters are disinfected properly
- Replenish toiletries such as soap, toilet paper, and towels several times a day
- Empty all garbage cans from classrooms, toilets, cafeterias, and offices and dispose of them appropriately
- Clean cafeteria sinks
- Disinfect and clean drinking fountains
- Handle minor repair and maintenance activities such as bulb replacement and floor buffing
- Mow and trim green areas around the school building and ensure that school grounds are free from litter and debris
- Remove snow from sidewalks and parking areas by using shovels and snowplows
- Assist in the setup and tear-down of decorations and furniture for school events and programs
- Spray insecticides and fumigants inside and around school buildings to prevent infestation
- Make adjustments to HVAC systems within the school
- Order and store cleaning and maintenance supplies and maintain inventory on a regular basis