Even if it is the 100th time that you are writing a resume, there is one thing that you need to look out for. And that is the fact that employers only give preference to stand out resumes. One that you have been rehashing and using for a few years now will not be looked at too kindly. By all means, rehash your resume if you want to but make sure that it doesn’t look like you have sent the same one to 5 different companies.
Generic resumes are complete failures. Instead of writing one all-purpose resume, write 5 targeted ones for the 5 positions that you are applying for and you will be good to go. Here is a targeted resume sample for an inpatient coder position:
536 Magnolia Avenue ● Falls Church ● VA 22014 ● (999) 999-9999 ● rubyking @ email . com
• Diligent medical coding professional with 7+ years’ track record of handling patient data by exercising confidentiality and accuracy.
• Well-versed in performing data entry work in an efficient and precise manner.
• Hands-on experience in reviewing paper and electronic patient charts and assigning them appropriate medical codes.
• Adept at utilizing technical coding principles to assign ICD-9-CM diagnosis and procedures.
• Proficient in extracting correct information from source documents and punching it in correctly in the encoder system.
• Qualified to ensure coding compliance within medical record policies and procedures
SKILLS & PROFICIENCIES
|• MS-DRG Classification||• AHIMA||• ICD-10 CM & PCS codes|
|• Code Assignment||• Data Integrity||• Query Processes|
|• Non-payment Conditions||• Medical Records Coding||• Inpatient Diagnosis|
|• ICD-9/CPT/HCPCS||• Medical Terminology||• Regulatory Requirements|
GRACE FEDERAL SOLUTIONS, Falls Church, VA (6/2011 to Present)
• Study inpatient records and determine their authenticity
• Review patients’ documentation to determine diagnosis, co-morbidities and complications
• Use technical coding principles and reimbursement expertise to assign proper diagnosis and procedures
• Verify that each code assigned is accurate and correlates to the condition and diagnosis provided in the source document
• Identify non-payment conditions and report them through specified procedures
• Serve as a resource for coding related queries after verifying authenticity of inquirer
• Ascertain that quality and integrity of coding including accurate determination of principle diagnosis and secondary diagnosis is accurate
• Provide support in maintaining acceptable accounts receivables
• Successfully coded 987 inpatient records within a record time of 3 hours
• Maintained patient data integrity during a complex system conversion process
• Trained 3 groups of medical coders in medical terminology and CPT coding
• Commended on keeping patient data confidential and safe even during a near-lethal cyberattack on the patient information system
NORTHWESTERN MEMORIAL HOSPITAL, Falls Church, VA (1/20109 to 6/2011)
• Verified outpatient information regarding diagnosis and treatment
• Punched information into the coding system using prescribed outpatient codes
• Ascertained the accuracy of codes according to specific procedures performed
• Responded to queries for information regarding medical procedures performed on particular patients
• Recorded information regarding reason for short patient visit, type of illness and breakdown of the treatment provided
VIRGINIA STATE UNIVERSITY, Church Falls, VA – 2009
Bachelor’s Degree in Health Information Management
Certified Coding Specialist (CCS)
Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA)
• MS Word and Excel
• Social Media and Email Interaction