It is not everyone’s ballgame to work as a horse groomer. You have to possess a great love for animals, and the energy to keep up with them.
If this is the work that you want to do, you may have a look at the following list of duties particular to the position of a horse groomer:
Horse Groomer Job Description for Resume
• Engage with horses in a positive manner to determine their specific personalities, and to make them comfortable.
• Perform bathing and grooming activities to keep horses clean and maintained at all times.
• Feed horses based on their specific schedules, and fill hay trays and water buckets.
• Measure how much feed horses partake, and determine requirements for supplements.
• Replace and change bedding on a regular basis, aimed at keeping horses comfortable and clean.
• Muck out stables, and ensure that they are properly cleaned and sanitized on a regular basis.
• Lead horses from their stables to fields, and ensure that they are exercised on a regular basis.
• Assist trainers by helping them control horses during training sessions, aiming to support the process.
• Clean and brush horses’ coats, and install saddles and bridles on them, ensuring their comfort and safety all through.
• Observe all assigned horses to ensure that they are in good health, and investigate any issues related to their health.
• Create and maintain records of vaccinations, deworming, and shoeing in an accurate and updated fashion.
Horse Groomer Qualifications
Typically, a high school diploma or a GED equivalent is sufficient to work as a horse groomer. If you have had previous experience in a stable hand or related capacity, you will be considered a great person to hire at this position.
A horse groomer needs to be physically fit, be willing to work in the outdoors in all types of weather conditions and should possess some general knowledge of horse care and stable work.
Since horse groomers spend a large amount of their time with horses, they need to be able to monitor them to determine signs of disease or discomfort, and then help in curing them.