A groundskeeper who isn’t skilled will never be chosen for the job. Experience is one thing – you can actually obtain a groundskeeper job even if you don’t have experience.
However, it is impossible to get a job as one if you lack skills. How will a hiring manager know that you possess skills?
Your resume has an entire section where you can boast skills.
In the skills section of your resume, you must make sure that you highlight what makes you an excellent candidate to hire as a groundskeeper.
Your knowledge of performing tasks common to the care of assigned grounds and landscapes, such as seeding, watering, and mulching, must be highlighted.
It is also important to focus on your knowledge of performing regular and directed grounds and landscape maintenance work by mowing lawns and trimming trees and bushes.
It is important to realize that whatever skills you post in your resume will have to be in accordance with what the hiring manager is looking for.
Below are a few examples of groundskeeping skills that you can put in your groundskeeping resume.
16 Skills to Add in a Groundskeeper Resume
- Mowing lawns, pruning bushes and trees, and edging walkways
- Maintaining site landscaping in accordance with set instructions
- Fertilizing lawns, trees, flowers, and bushes
- Trimming trees and hedges, and preventing and eliminating weeds
- Spraying insecticides in order to keep infestation at bay
- Keeping grounds free from trash, and ensuring that trash removal and disposal is done properly
- Conducting basic irrigation audits, and handling repairs on irrigations systems
- Using and maintaining gardening tools such as spades and rakes
- Ensuring the proper and safe use of manure and fertilizers
- Creating and implementing watering schedules for each plant species Assisting in the maintenance of parking lots and other areas, including asphalt repairs and masonry work
- Shoveling and removing snow and ice from roofs, parking lots, and sidewalks
- Handling traffic control tasks, especially during events
- Ensuring the delivery of high-quality services in a groundskeeping capacity
- Operating snow removal equipment and tools
- Cleaning grounds on a daily basis, and assisting with paint and masonry jobs
- Handling the upkeep of assigned grounds areas, by ensuring consistent aesthetics
Recommended: Groundskeeper Cover Letter Sample