There are a number of formats that you can use to build a resume for Registered Nurse Position. However, what template and design actually work is something that needs to be taken into consideration.
There are 3 major formats for a registered nurse resume:
1. Chronological: This format emphasizes on your relevant experiences in reverse chronological order. It is suitable if you have more than 10 years of experience in hand.
2. Functional: This type of resume is based on your transferable skills and abilities gained through education, internships and real-life experiences. This format is appropriate for entry level nurses with less or no experience in hand. It is also useful for career changers who can bring their transferable-skills gained through non-relevant experiences.
3. Combination/Targeted: This format is a blend of chronological and functional formats. This is a customized version of your resume written per requirements of employer and relates your qualities, attributes and experiences with the employer’s needs. It is written in a way that draws employer’s attention towards your career objective, key qualifications, skills, areas of expertise, accomplishments and relevant experiences. It is useful for nurses of all career levels.
Whichever format you prefer, just ensure that you use bullet points as they are easy to read. Using action words like, managed, prepared and presented will make your RN resume more attractive.
The following is a target resume sample for RN position. This resume along with this registered nurse cover letter will help you build an exceptional portfolio and/or job application package.
Registered Nurse Resume Sample
|Sara Oliver, RN||
543 Example Drive | Longmont, CO 66987
Continually enhancing the satisfaction level of patients and families.
Highly energetic and dedicated Registered Nurse with 9+ years’ progressively responsible experience in hospital, sub-acute and other healthcare settings. Track record of providing compassionate nursing services to patients of different backgrounds. Highly skilled in assessing patient’s physical and mental health by conducting counseling sessions, and evaluating and treating patients using the advanced technologies and practices.
Formulates plans of care and establishes priorities necessary to achieve positive outcomes. Proactively evaluates care-plans progress to see if amendments needed to be applied to current plan.
|• Physical Assessment
• Blood Glucose/Vital Signs
• Catheter Management
• Patient and Family Education
|• Medication Dispensing
• Care Documentation and Charting
• Cast/Pin/Traction Care
• Wound Dressing and Care
Colorado Sanitarium – Longmont, CO | Feb 2008 – Present
• Interact with patients to figure out their specific physical and psychological needs
• Identify patients’ actual and potential problems
• Devise treatment plans tailored as per requirements
• Maintain safety and precaution standards
• Document patients records and procedures
• Collaborate with physicians regarding treatment plans
• Provide information to patients and families about conditions and appropriate plans of action
Saint Luke’s Hospital – Kansas City, MO | Apr 2006 – Feb 2008
• Assisted the RN in the efficient delivery of patient care
• Provided basic patient care including bathing, nutrition, and positioning
• Transported patients and equipment
• Set-up and maintained patient rooms
• Reordered and stocked supplies
• Introduced new procedures of personal care which resulted in 30% increased satisfation of patients
• Organized OB/GYN ward effectively utilizing the current equipment and protocols
Longmont Nursing College, Longmont, CO | 2006
BSc in Nursing
Colorado Registered Nurse | 2007
Basic Life Support with Automatic External Defibrillator | 2005
Certified Nursing Assistant | 2005
• Good time management skills
• Excellent understanding of medical terminology and codes
• Bilingual: English and Spanish