One question most candidates often face when writing a resume: ‘Do I need a career objective or not?’
In most of the cases the answer is No. However, there are certain situations where employers like to see an objective statement topping the resume. In a modern resume, a profile or performance summary has largely replaced the objective, yet there are situations where a career objective can prove to be more effective. These include:
1. If you are a beginner, seeking an entry level position
2. If you are going to change your career path
3. If there are huge gaps in your career history
4. If the employer has specifically asked you to write a career objective
Whatever the case may be, if you decide to write a career objective, it has to be a perfect one since it is the top most section of your resume and is probably the first thing the employer is going to read about you. Make it appealing for the reader by formatting it more like an offer statement. Always remember, effective objectives are employer centered.
How to write a best objective for resume?
Put yourself in the employer’s shoes – would you like to read the resume which begins with this kind of objective?:
‘To seek a management position with a progressive firm where I can grow professionally and financially.’
Definitely not! The most important thing to remember is that a good objective says what you can do for them; it never states what you expect from the job.
Here are some examples of best written objectives in the conventional as well as the profile summary format.
• To obtain a Teacher position with ACE Academy where proven skills in lesson planning, classroom control and progress gauging can come in handy and make a difference in the lives of students.
• Seeking an Office Administrator position with HDF Enterprises. Offering expertise in file cataloguing, correspondence generation and database maintenance.
• Energetic culinary graduate seeking a Sous Chef position with Hyatt International. Competent in wide range of sweet and savory cookery covering the English, French, Chinese and Italian cuisines.
• Upbeat, results-driven Customer Services Professional seeking a position with ABC Company in capacity of a CSR. Strengths include; excellent communication and interpersonal skills, strong convincing power and effective time management abilities.
• Compassionate, innovative and vigilant activity designer seeking work in capacity of Activity Facilitator at Little Angels Academy. Track record of developing and implementing age specific activities to maximize the learning of kids. Competent in behavioral and educational counseling at all levels.
• A detail oriented and meticulous Secretary seeking a similar position with ABC Company utilizing 6+ years’ experience in correspondence management, front desk handling and office organization.