Spa massage therapists work at spas and salons and their main responsibility is to provide clients with a sense of physical and mental wellbeing by giving them massage services. They employ a variety of techniques to provide different massage solutions. They confer with clients to determine why they need a massage – alleviating physical and mental stress is one of the most common reasons for requiring a massage – and suggest types of massages that will work well on an individual.
One of the major jobs of a spa massage therapist is to interview clients to determine if they have any predominant physical conditions that may flare up during or after a massage. They also question clients to figure out if they may be allergic to massage oils or creams.
Massage therapists also perform other body treatments such as facials, waxing and manicure and pedicure although their main focus is head and body massage. To be eligible for this position, one has to have a license or degree in aesthetics or physiotherapy; massages can be uncomfortable for clients especially if they are performed by people who are not aware of the limitation of different types of massages; too much massage oil or cream and more pressure than is required can give clients rashes or bruises so it is important to know just how much is needed!
Following is a list of duties and responsibilities of a Spa Massage Therapist. You may use these statements in your Spa Massage Therapist Resume effectively.
• Welcome clients to the spa and engage them in conversation to determine the services that they need
• Interview clients to determine of an illnesses or medical conditions that they may have which will keep them from taking proper benefit from massage treatments
• Take notes regarding each client’s medical history and ensure that appropriate precautions are taken so that the condition is not aggravated
• Provide clients with knowledge of different types of available massages and suggest appropriate massage therapies for individual clients
• Explain massage procedure and provide information about oils and creams used during massage
• Assist clients in preparing for massages by providing them with gowns and putting away their clothing
• Perform massaging activities according to each client’s instructions (pressure and preferred oil / cream)
• Talk to clients (minimally) during massage treatments to ensure their wellbeing during the procedure
• Use aids such as infrared lamps, ice and hot or cold compresses to help with massage therapies
• Confer with clients’ PCPs, physiotherapists and chiropractors to determine proper massage procedures
• Maintain clients records including demographic information, medical histories and appointments
• Uphold the standards of hygiene and sterilization as directed by law and the spa’s policies and procedures
• Maintain a constructive attitude and add toward a quality work environment
• Help in all areas of spa operation as requested by organization
• Outstanding communication and listening skills
• Basic computer knowledge
• Team player
• Have an enthusiasm and possess superb customer service skills
• Take pleasure in working with people and have an outgoing personality