A research and development manager is hired primarily to provide an organization with assistance in developing and implementing research and development strategies and policies.
The work of an individual working at this position is quite complex, as there is a lot that he or she has to look out for. Challenges are an everyday thing, which is why not all people can be considered a good choice to hire at this position.
Typically, a degree in business is required to work as a research and development manager. If you have had experience in working in the research and development department of an organization previously, your candidature will be considered positively for this position. Exceptional leadership skills, and the ability to work on tight deadlines are prerequisites of working at this position.
In addition to this, one needs to be a great communicator, and possess inherent skills in handling complex situations such as limitations in acquiring accurate data, and working with limited resources.
Working as a research and development manager means that you will be constantly on the go. If you have the physical and emotional stability to be able to work at a position that is as demanding as this, you should probably do a little homework before you apply for a job.
A list of duties particular to the position of a research and development manager is provided below for reference purposes:
Research and Development Manager Duties and Responsibilities
• Create, develop, implement and monitor research and development strategies and policies
• Develop and implement research programs and plans and ensure that their efficacy is made a reality at all costs
• Provide leadership to major research projects and plans, from conception stages to fruition
• Evaluate the benefits of each research strategy and plan, and monitor both cost and effectiveness of research activities
• Interpret the results of research projects and provide well-placed recommendations for product and service improvements
• Assess the requirements of new products based on market and consumer needs in sync with sales and marketing departments
• Improve products and product ranges, ensuring that they remain within the parameters outlined by the management
• Perform consolidated reviews, validation and verification of products to ensure conformity with standards and fitness to use
• Lead product development ideations based on the metrics of each brand and product line
• Provide technical expertise in product development and assist in handling launches and relaunches
• Support scale up and industrialization projects for new product development, and ensure that established protocols are followed for special projects
Last updated on