Typically, geophysicists study the physical aspects of the earth, through use of a wide range of methods such as gravity, magnetics, electrical and seismic.
Usually, a geophysicist is hired in the oil and gas industry, although there are many opportunities in construction, mining, environmental and water companies as well.
Furthermore, it is imperative for geophysicists to be hands-on in operating and maintaining highly complex instruments to take extremely precise measurements. Fostering technical solutions, enhancing project execution efficiency, and ensuring effective team participation is all in a day’s work for them. If this is the line of work that you intend to pick up, you will need to make sure that you have a natural aptitude in mathematics and physics, and a deep interest in studying the composition and structure of the earth.
A degree in geology is the main prerequisite of working as a geophysicist. Some exposure or experience working for an organization that works with geoscience concepts will be considered a plus point. In addition to this, one needs to possess an analytic mind, with a great ability to work on complex projects, and sometime, with limited information. Accuracy is foremost when working as a geophysicist, which is why it is imperative that you are a thorough individual, who knows much about basic and advanced concepts of this work.
A list of duties that a geophysicist may be expected to perform is provided below for reference purposes:
Job Description for Geophysicist Resume
• Identify areas that need to be surveyed, and determine appropriate and well-placed survey methods
• Design data acquisition plans, and determine suitable seismic measurements and data processing techniques
• Calibrate and set up recording equipment, and observe the reaction of gauges and dials
• Operate computers for the purpose of data management, quality control, and communication between office and field locations
• Conduct advanced research in seismic imaging and inversion, and develop high quality geophysical software for the purpose of production processing
• Ascertain that the verification of the geophysical integrity of new technologies is managed in a timely manner
• Provide technology surveillance, and recommend and lead technology changes for the organization
• Identify critical intelligence gaps faced by collection operations, and ensure that they are filled according to set protocols
• Assess capabilities vulnerabilities and technology trends that enable new collection operations to handle critical intelligence questions
• Conduct investigations of volcanic areas and phenomena, using remote-sensing activities
• Appropriately respond to volcanic eruption crises, providing real time interpretations of remote sensing data