Call them janitors or custodians; they are the most essential employee of offices, schools and apartments, and commercial buildings.
Typically, janitors perform a whole lot of cleaning and sanitizing services, including sweeping, mopping, and vacuuming carpets.
They take out the trash and handle some grounds maintenance work as well.
In some places, such as while working in a residential building, janitors may need to work on a rotating shift, which is why it is essential for them to have flexible schedules.
Additionally, they need to be polite (as they work with residents or customers) and ensure that all safety precautions are taken while they are working.
Sample Job Description for Janitorial Resume
• Sweep and mop rooms, corridors, and waiting areas and clean and disinfect surfaces such as floors and counters.
• Empty trash receptacles and ensure that they are appropriately cleaned from the inside.
• Dust and polish furniture and make sure that all carpets and curtains are vacuumed or shampooed periodically.
• Make minor adjustments and repairs such as changing bulbs or repairing wires.
• Wash and disinfect bathrooms regularly.
• Clean windows, glass partitions, and mirrors by using soapy water and sponges.
• Restore building interiors using commercial cleaning equipment.
• Move heavy furniture around to ensure that hard-to-reach places are adequately cleaned.
• Take stock of cleaning and sanitizing supplies and manage correlating inventory.
• Monitor building security and perform lockdown procedures.
• Report any signs of vandalism or break-in and assist in investigating security issues.
• Mow and trim lawns and assist in shaping shrubs using gardening tools.
• Clean parking areas and walkways and remove any hazardous materials and debris.
• Remove snow from sidewalks and parking areas and erect warning signs to alert drivers of slippery surfaces.
• Set up and remove decorations and scaffolding to prepare facilities for events such as meetings and banquets.
Qualifications and Skills
In order to qualify to work as a janitor, you have to possess a high school diploma at the very least.
The ability to read the information on labels is vital as janitors often have to work with chemicals that can be hazardous.
Janitors also have to be exceptionally physically dexterous so that they can perform physically challenging work.
If this is the job that you are interested in, you might want to look at the following list of duties particular to a janitor’s work: